Monday, July 3, 2017

For Mary Morgan, It's Medieval With a Touch of Paranormal

Please help me welcome my good friend Mary Morgan to the blog today for a look at why Mary is drawn to the medieval era. But Mary has a twist to her popular Scottish romances--they are paranormal, with a touch of time travel.  

Mary?

I’ve often been asked this question, “Why Medieval romance? Why not Regency, Victorian, or Western?” In truth, I love them all, but my heart belongs to one. It started when my fingers opened a book about the great Irish King, Brian Boru (941-1014A.D.). His story is legendary, especially with the people of Ireland. King Brian led the Irish to the peak of their Golden Age—from poetry, arts, saints, and scholars. A spark ignited within my soul for more.  

I sought out tales of knights in shining armor and folk heroes, delving into a life teeming with richness, though at times harsh and violent. Yet, it wasn’t until I devoured the history of Brian Boru that I became immersed in medieval life. From there, I treasured tales of life in castles, traveling on horseback, studying foods and herbs. My list is endless and always growing on medieval ways. Yes, there are even days when I long to travel back in time and explore the history, lore, and beliefs.  

Therefore, when it came time to pen my own stories, it only made sense for me to place them all in a medieval setting. One might say I live vicariously through my characters. It’s a love affair with all things medieval.    

For more about my stories, please visit my book page: http://www.marymorganauthor.com/books


Author Bio:
Award-winning Scottish paranormal romance author, Mary Morgan, resides in Northern California, with her own knight in shining armor. However, during her travels to Scotland, England, and Ireland, she left a part of her soul in one of these countries and vows to return.
 
Mary's passion for books started at an early age along with an overactive imagination. She spent far too much time daydreaming and was told quite often to remove her head from the clouds. It wasn't until the closure of Borders Books where Mary worked that she found her true calling--writing romance. Now, the worlds she created in her mind are coming to life within her stories.

23 comments:

  1. I love time travel! Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer! With my latest release, I moved forward in time to contemporary Ireland. It was quite a jolt! Yet, I've returned to Medieval Scotland with my Christmas novella, due out this holiday season.

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to reading Mary's newest book, Jennifer. I'm hopeful that will be soon!! :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Love the medieval times, such a pivotal period in time. Wishing you the best, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amity! I always feel at home in the Medieval time-period.

      Delete
    2. There's such a broad time span in the medieval era and room for all kinds of wonderful stories! Good to see you, Amity.

      Delete
  3. I agree you can get caught up in a certain age for writing. Mine seems to be late 19th and early 20th century. Love your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Ilona! We all have our special places in time. And thank you for loving my books! So happy to hear!

      Delete
    2. I agree that certain time periods call to us as writers! You've both made places for yourselves in yours! thanks, Ilona.

      Delete
  4. Always so much fun visiting your beautiful blog, Barbara! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love having you here Mary! And--I'm always in awe of how fast you can write such wonderful stories! Hugs :)

      Delete
  5. What a great mix...medieval era and time travel. I enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, C.B. I'll bet lots of us have read about past times and longed to travel there. I know I have! :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Mary! Enjoying Quest of a Warrior this 4th of July Weekend, amid dog brushing and washing and BBQ hot dogs and brats. Have a fun holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! What a perfect weekend, Tena! And thank you for taking the time to read Conn and Ivy's story. xo

      Delete
    2. Wow, Tina, you did have a full holiday! And Mary's book was a great dessert :)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your latest and on finding your calling and your era. I am eager to read your current release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Charlotte! :)

      Delete
    2. Mary has definitely found her calling :) Glad you stopped by, Charlotte.

      Delete
  8. I love medieval stories, too. I came to them kind of late in life, in my 50's, I guess. Before that, I guess I didn't appreciate them, but it's a fascinating time period. I wish I could write more of them myself, but I'm not as big into research as I once were, and you need to be a research hound to do them properly. Barbara's books are great medieval reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hebby. Yes, I agree. Barbara writes beautiful medieval stories! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, thank you both xoxo!! Mary's are top-notch--time travel takes a definite special touch that she has. And Hebby I certainly enjoy your books, no matter the era--but I would like to see another medieval :)

      Delete