Thursday, April 13, 2017

Join Us In Celebrating Wyatt's Bounty, Kim Turner's Latest Historical Western



Today I’m happy to welcome Kim Turner with her release WYATT'S BOUNTY. Congratulations, on the new release, Kim. Please tell us a little about your book.

Love to. Wyatt’s Bounty is the second story in the series, The McCades of Cheyenne. This is the story of Bounty Hunter meets Doctor in the Old West. Here’s the blurb and an excerpt.

 Blurb:
Bounty hunter Wyatt McCade is recklessly taking down one outlaw at a time. Hard work is one way to forget Tess Sullivan’s womanly curves. But when he learns that she never left Cheyenne, he rides home and right into a trap. Left for dead, he recovers in the capable hands of the lady doctor and even if she can’t forgive herself, loving her is the easy part. But when McCade lands are threatened and he uncovers the truth, it is Tess who is caught in the balance. Finding himself on the bounty hunt of his life, he’ll risk it all to rescue the woman he loves. 
      
Doctor Tess Sullivan shattered her own heart by turning down Wyatt McCade’s proposal. Worse than the hurt in his eyes was watching him ride out of Cheyenne, knowing she’d made the biggest mistake of her life. Pining for his return, she blames herself when he is brought to Cheyenne beaten and near death. Forgiveness comes quickly in the arms of the bounty hunter she has always loved, but she soon finds herself the pawn in a deadly game of revenge, praying Wyatt will find her before it’s too late.

 Excerpt:
"Wyatt?"

"Huh?" 

"I loved you...long before Israel died." The confession rocked her thoughts. She had loved Israel, but she had longed for Wyatt years before Israel had died. It had been wrong and there were times it made her feel like she hadn’t done right by her deceased husband. She weaved her fingers into Wyatt’s, touching with tenderness where the fracture had been. “I did, right or wrong. I mean...I loved Israel, we had so much in common with his study of science and plants and my study of medicine, but I was guilty of dreaming for you long before...he died."

His smile was tender as he lifted her chin. “I’ve known that for a long time, Doc. And I can’t count how many nights I lay awake, wishing I were holding you.”

She held tighter to him. “And when you left Cheyenne, it was all my fault. I knew I had made a mistake. I wasn’t even myself without you. It was as if I kept falling and falling, never hitting the ground to land anywhere.”
 
With that he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her. “I’ll always be here to catch you, Doc, always.”

 Oh, it sounds like a dandy book. Is this your first publication?

This is the second book as I mentioned earlier, but the first book was released about a year ago. SAWYER'S ROSE is a sheriff meets Mail-order-bride, that he didn’t order but his mother did. Here's the blurb and an excerpt from that novel.

Blurb:
 As if he doesn't have enough to handle between running outlaws out of Cheyenne, keeping his brothers out of trouble and avenging his father's death, sheriff Sawyer McCade's meddling mother just dumped a mysterious mail-order-bride on his doorstep. One woman can be more trouble than a band of renegades and while this one has him all stirred up, he'd rather get to the bottom of the story she isn't telling. 

Rose Parker had it all. Until she discovers a web of danger and deceit that sends her running to Cheyenne, posing as a mail-order-bride. Escaping the evils of New York seems sensible until she meets the unsuspecting sheriff who didn't ask for her, has no intention of marrying her and won't rest until he uncovers her secret and sends her back home. 

 Excerpt:
“I don’t need a wife. This right here isn’t happening.” He grabbed the jail keys and shoved them
in his trouser pocket and stomped past her, spurs clinking along the hardwoods.

“I won’t be home tonight, and it’s your duty to protect her as sheriff.” She was quick in rebuttal.
Sawyer balled his fists as she scurried toward the door ahead of him. How in the hell did she always back him into a corner? He folded his arms and uttered the one word he knew could stop her in her tracks.“Mother.”
 
She spun on her heels, her blue eyes narrowing. Finally, he had her full attention. She didn’t like being called anything but Dodge, and he had the sudden urge to protect his ears from retaliation.
“What kind of woman answers an ad like that anyway?”

His knowledge of ordered brides was limited, though he’d seen a number head right back where they came from after a few days in Cheyenne.

“Her name is Rose Parker, and she’s from New York City—well-educated from what I understand. I
thought you might just enjoy a challenge.”


Another great-sounding book. What draws you to this genre? 

I have forever been a fan of the TV and movie cowboys, even since a little girl. Even now, I am at the theatre on release night when a new western is out. I owe that to my dad for being such a movie buff and my mom who is an avid reader.

What inspired you for this particular story?

Honestly, I have spent a few years writing a series of three brothers and when I joined RWA and GRW, I realized how much I still had to learn about writing inside what I call the “Romance box”, so I set out to write a sheriff vs. mail order bride with Sawyer’s Rose as practice for writing what romance editors wanted, but what I found out is that I didn’t so much write in that box as while my stories are about the romance, many of my readers love the old west and the family saga of the four McCade brothers. Some are huge fans of the meddling mother Dodge and want a story for her, which surprised me. I may do that one day!

Was any character particularly stubborn in cooperating with you during the writing process? 

Right now, the third brother Dawson is giving me a run on difficult but his story is a bit different that his brothers as he holds close the beliefs of the Cheyenne Indians and I am having to so my research. But I love the time period and his story is evolving!

If you had to describe this book as a color, what would that color be? 

Sawyer would be Blue, Wyatt would be Red, Dawson would be Green and Evan would be White. Not sure why I think that. You’ll have to read and decide for yourself. But for Wyatt’s Bounty, red as he has a passion for the doctor that broke his heart but no matter he loves her anyway and well you can guess she finally comes around.

If you had to describe the book as a taste, what would it be?

Just taco’s…ha. I love Mexican food, but where food shows up in these stories, we have long time family friend Mei Ling from China who dishes up some Asian flavors of the time. My youngest daughter is adopted from China so I try to keep Mei Ling in these stories in a good light as back in that time the Chinese were treated so badly.

Special place you like to write? 

I work full time as a RN Quality Analyst and I have two daughters who keep me moving. Have Laptop, will travel. My laptop goes where I do and if I can find five spare minutes I write! Most often I write after 8pm at night when my everyone is settling down and I can think. I do weekend writing and escape with writer friends on retreats when I can!

What’s your next project? 

Currently working on Dawson’s Haven as I mentioned. This is the third brother in the series and again the one that holds the belief of the Cheyenne Indians and I am mapping out a bit of Evan’s Ransom, the youngest of the McCade stories. Both of these McCade brothers should steal your heart!

What one tip would you offer writers? 

Just write. Don’t look back and keep working that first chapter. Get the rough rough rough draft done and then go back and teak. I sometimes need to take my own advice.

Great advice. And some I could follow, as well! Thanks so much for being here today. I hope you’ll come back again.

Thanks for having me! I'll be traveling to some conferences this summer and I'd love to meet readers and other writers.

I will be at Romantic Times in Atlanta in May, Romance Writers of America in July, and Moonlight & Magnolias in Sept of 2017! Hope to see some of you there!

Find me at Kimturnerwrites.com and my blog is kimturnerwrites.blogspot.com and of course I am a kimturnerwrites on Facebook & Twitter and Pinterest


Bio:
Kim Turner writes western historical romance, and discovered her passion of writing at the age of eight by writing poems, short stories and journals. Kim graduated from Clayton State University with a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing and holds a Master's Degree in Adult Education from Central Michigan University. Working as a registered nurse educator for over twenty-seven years, she enjoys studying the medical treatments of the old west as well as keeping up with the latest western movies and television series. While she loves reading anything from Highlanders to pirates, she claims to have an unquenchable thirst for the American Cowboy when choosing her reads. Kim lives south of Atlanta with her husband and calls her greatest accomplishment the birth of one daughter and the adoption of another from China-neither of which came easy. Kim is a member of Romance Writers of America and Georgia Romance Writers and calls her critique group from Southside Scribes the best thing that ever happened to her writing, that and a pretty wonderful group of beta readers. Kim's Motto: It's All About A Cowboy and the Woman He Loves.

Buy Links:

https://www.amazon.com/Wyatts-Bounty-McCades-Cheyenne-Book-ebook/dp/B06X8ZB48L/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487811082&sr=8-1&keywords=Wyatt%27s+Bounty

1 comment:

  1. Welcome, Kim! I love the sound of your books. I'm off to download both. Now I just need to find time to read :) Best of luck with Wyatt's story.

    ReplyDelete