Wednesday, July 13, 2016

ANGELS FLY for Debut Author Donna Simonetta


Today I’m thrilled to welcome debut author and fellow Rose Donna Simonetta with her brand new release ANGELS FLY.  Woot! on your first book, Donna.


Thank you so much, Barbara! ANGELS FLY is the first book I’ve had published, so it is an especially exciting time for me!

Each book we publish is special, but nothing takes the place of the pride and excitement of a very first book. Please tell us a little about the story.

Love to. Here's the blurb: 

Two years after her husband’s death, Kelly believes her romantic life is done. Until she reconnects with her girlhood crush on social media, and as fate would have it, he lives across the street.
James is over the whole true-love thing. His grasping ex-wife tore that belief out of him, when she left him for a rich, old man. Then he finds out his first love moved to San Diego too, and their attraction burns as hot as ever.

What they don’t know is that Fate didn’t bring them together – the Guardian Angel Corps did, led by two unlikely Cupids – Kelly’s late husband and Zane, a rough and tumble, 19th century cowboy. When a Fallen Angel decides to tear Kelly and James apart, cherubs and harps aren’t going to cut it, and Zane’s unique skills might be just what they need to get a second chance at their first love.

Love the idea of second chances. And the Guardian Angel Corps? What a great idea! This is your first published work. Have you written others?

This is the first book I’ve had published, but is the third book I’ve written. I’ve learned a lot and got a little better with each one. I’m not sure if those first two will ever see the light of day, but maybe someday–I really liked them, and I may go back someday and tweak them with what I’ve learned over the years. I also have a second book coming out with the Wild Rose Press­–no release date as yet. We’re in the editing stages with it. It is a contemporary romance, with no angelic influence this time around–the humans are on their own! Hope they don’t blow it.
 
LOL. I don't know whether to trust us humans alone with romance! What draws you to this genre?

 I like the happy endings in romance. I know a lot of people are turned off by the H-E-A, because it’s not always realistic. That’s actually what I enjoy about reading a good romance. Real life is a mix of good times and bad, and we all face our fair share of unhappiness and hard times. I love being able to escape into a romance novel, where I know everything will work out in the end. Real life doesn’t always have that promise.

Absolutely true! What inspired you for this particular story?
A trip to visit my brother-in-law in San Diego was the initial inspiration. He is a houseboat resident there, in the neighborhood where Kelly and James live.  I love it there and decided I wanted to set a story in San Diego. Initially there were no fallen angels, but a friend read the first chapter and suggested I needed a Big Bad. I mulled that over for a bit and–voila! Mildred, the fallen angel, was born.

Sounds like a challenging turn. Was any character particularly stubborn in cooperating with you during the writing process? 

Not really. They were a remarkably cooperative bunch.

If you had to describe this book as a color, what would that color be? 

A bright, sunny yellow! Like the color of Kelly’s cheery, little car, or of the San Diego sunshine!

I feel more positive and energetic just reading your description of sunny yellow. Now, if you had to describe the book as a taste, what would it be?

When I think of food in San Diego, I think of fish tacos! So I think that would be the taste of Angels Fly.

Fish tacos. I must admit, I've never tried them. When you're not in San Diego, do you have a special place you like to write?

I have a little spot set up in my house. My husband calls it my “Command Center”! Everything I need is within reaching distance.

How handy to have a Command Center---great term. Sounds like your husband has a sense of humor. With everything so convenient, do you still have challenges with finding writing time? 

I work part-time in a school library. During the summer, and other school vacations, I luxuriate in the freedom to write all day! Once the school year is on, my writing time is much more restricted, but I love working in an environment where I can be surrounded by books, and kids who love to read!

You do have a perfect position. I've always thought working in a library--any library--would be a dream job. So now that you have your first publication out, what’s your next project? 

I’m working on a couple of things right now. As I mentioned, I’m in the editing process with the Wild Rose Press on a contemporary romance titled A SWEETER SPOT. Also, I’m working on a new story that I’m really excited about–another contemporary, but this one is a ghost story. I’m having a lot of fun writing it, and hope a publisher will feel the same way about it when I’m done!

Sounds like you have a soft spot for ghosts, Donna. I'm sure a publisher will snap it up. What one tip would you offer writers? 

Hmm…this question is a hard one. I think that every writer has their own way of writing, and what works for me might not work for someone else. I guess the answer is deceptively basic, and that is to write. There are so many distractions, so many reasons to put off writing, but you just need to write. Let it flow and see what comes out–you can always edit it later. Or toss it out later! I know people who have amazing ideas for stories, and they never seem to get them on paper. 

Great advice!  Thanks so much for being here today. Best of luck with ANGELS FLY. I hope you’ll come back again.

Thank you so much for letting me visit today, Barb.

Angels Fly Buy Links:
Amazon:


Barnes & Noble:

Amazon UK:

The Wild Rose Press:


AUTHOR LINKS:


AUTHOR BIO:
After years working in the business world, my love of reading led me to get my MLS, and I currently work part-time in a school library, a job that allows me lots of time to explore my other love - writing romance! I live in Maryland, with my husband, who is my real-life romance hero. We both enjoy traveling to visit our far-flung family and friends, and spending time on the beach with an umbrella drink and a good book.






23 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me visit today, Barbara! It was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,

    Enjoyed your interview. The book sounds interesting. Best of luck with your debut novel Angels Fly. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tena! I love the cover too! The artist was the amazing Debbie Taylor!

      Delete
    2. Isn't that a great cover, Tena? Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Sounds truly interesting! And I have a soft spot for angels. Best of Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a unique twist to the storyline, I totally agree, Linda. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to our world, Donna. Good luck and great sales for Angels Fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! I'm learning what a lovely, supportive community authors have built together!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for being here, Sandra. And Donna, you are so right. The Roses are the best!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your debut novel and welcome to the Rose Garden! I love your twist on guardian angels and wish you the best of success with sales and reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ashantay! I feel very fortunate that my first book is being published by the Wild Rose Press -- I think I would be completely lost without the help of my fellow Roses!

      Delete
    2. I agree about the guardian angel twist--especially when it looks like someone from the past is working for them!

      Delete
  6. Excellent interview! Best of luck with sales :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww...San Diego! One of my favorite places. As always, I'm wishing you all the best, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too! Sorry I can't be at RWA in San Diego this week. Thank you, Mary!

      Delete
  8. Interesting idea for a story. I hope you get great sales!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! You had me at fish tacos-yum! I also like the guardian angel aspect- that was the name of the parochial I attended I've always loved angels. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Luck with all Donna. This interview made me want to GO to San Diego and have fist tacos by the shore. Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your latest release! You sound like you are on a roll with two more books in the works. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete