Thursday, October 29, 2015

Jessie Clever: On a New Course with Contemporary



Today I’m happy to welcome Jessie Clever and her latest book, WHEN SHE KNOWS. Would you please tell us a little about it?


His latest problem is her newest assignment.

Shannon Wynter has it all figured it. Abandoned by her mother and left to care for her agoraphobic father, Shannon focuses on building her career as a journalist to the detriment of all else including her love life.

Ian Darke has his own problems. Battling past failures, Ian sets his eyes on launching a new factory for his father’s defense firm. But it’s the very father he failed that will do anything to sabotage Ian’s progress.

And when Shannon follows an anonymous tip that leads her to Ian’s factory door, the last thing she expects to discover is what she already knows.

Is this your first book? What others have you published?

The book is well down the line of my publishing career.  Before this, I wrote the Regency romance series, The Spy Series.  The Spy Series chronicles the adventures (or misadventures) of a family of spies during the Napoleonic Wars.

What inspired you for this particular story?

WHEN SHE KNOWS came about when I said goodbye to my 20s and reflected on what I had learned.  There’s a lot of me in this book, and I don’t often get a chance to write about things I’ve encountered personally.  I hope some of the aspects of the heroine’s character will help other women in similar situations and going through a similar time in their life.  I believe there is a lot of pressure on young women to do it all, and I hope they find in this book that they only need to do those things that are worthy of them.

This sounds like a book that will be relevant for many women—we do frequently feel pressured to be everything. If you had to describe the book as a color, what would that color be?

Red for passion and determination.
 
I’m not surprised. It sounds as if Shannon has those very qualities. Do you have a special place you like to write?

I write on my couch covered in Basset hounds.  They like to think they’re helping.

LOL. My son’s family had a pair of Basset hounds. They were quite a pair! What about challenges with finding writing time, other than when your helpers are napping?

I dedicated about six months to full time writing and found myself going nuts.  I’ve learned that I need other things to occupy my time to get projects completed.  I block out an hour of writing time every morning to accomplish about 2500 words.  This keeps projects going steady toward completion.

You can do 2,500 words an hours? I’m totally intimidated. What’s your next project?

The second book in the Franconia Notch Trilogy, WHEN SHE FALLS, will be releasing in November.  So there’s no time off for me!

What one tip would you offer writers?

Keep writing.  Write, write, write.  Keep your hands moving toward improvement.  I find that the more I write the easier it is to get the first draft down and the better the final draft is.  The second thing I would recommend is to read books on the writing craft.  I attended a lot of classes on writing early in my life, but I’ve found writing craft books to be invaluable.

Excellent advice! Thanks so much for being here today, Jessie.

Links for When She Knows

Goodreads Link:
http://bit.ly/1SWpIy3

Purchase links:

Amazon: http://amzn.to/1IAMgPa
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/1SWp4R9
iBooks: http://apple.co/1KM3YWs
Google Play: http://bit.ly/1M6StJw
Kobo: http://bit.ly/1DnqC4F
All Romance eBooks: http://bit.ly/1IHyZsj

About the Author:

In the second grade, Jessie began a story about a duck and a lost ring.  Two harrowing pages of wide ruled notebook paper later, the ring was found.  And Jessie has been writing ever since.

Armed with the firm belief that women in the Regency era could be truly awesome heroines, Jessie began telling their stories in her Spy Series, a thrilling ride in historical espionage that showcases human faults and triumphs and most importantly, love.

Jessie makes her home in the great state of New Hampshire where she lives with her husband and two very opinionated Basset Hounds.  For more, visit her website at jessieclever.com.

Social Media Links:

Facebook: http://on.fb.me/1foelMH
Twitter: http://bit.ly/1IM6UPJ
Google+: http://bit.ly/1rpRvsU
Pinterest: http://bit.ly/KZQ4TQ
Goodreads: http://bit.ly/1fge8x9




16 comments:

  1. It was so wonderful being here! Thank you, Barb, for hosting me and When She Knows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2,500 words in an hour! Wow! Congrats on the release :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Alanna! Talk about intimidating. Thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Alanna! I always feel like 2500 is not enough. You all are great for my ego! :O)

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see someone else who's trying to straddle between historical and contemporary. I admire your ability to write fast. I'm lucky if I can get 1000 a day done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Becky. I don't think I could writing anything outside of historical, and I admire those of you who do! Glad you're here!

      Delete
  4. Wow, I wish I could write that fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Collette--You rack up your own high count--don't you have another book coming out right now? Two or three at least this year? Goodness!! Good to see you here.

      Delete
  5. I'd like to write that fast too! What also fascinates me is your ability to switch from Regency to contemporary with such comfort. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Switching genres has to be so difficult, it seems to me as well, Beppie. So glad you stopped by.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! The contemporary storyline was just bugging me so much I couldn't concentrate on anything else! It had to be written!

      Delete
  6. I love the premise of your story -- both have problems with parents -- and the cover is gorgeous! I've done some back and forth between Regency and contemporary paranormal romance. I find the change of genre really fun and helpful to the creative process, as well as just doing other kinds of stuff. Good luck with this book, Jessie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, another writer who can cross the genre line successfully. You make a good point, Barbara, about the difference stimulating the creative process! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is intriguing, and I'm going to check out your Regencies as well! Best of luck with your foray into contemporary. I branched out and sold a middle grade horror story of all things. Diversifying sure keeps things interesting, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does! And thank you for the middle grade horror story! My nephew is a voracious reader, and I can't find any good middle grade horror stories for him. So glad you gave us one. Keep writing!

      Delete