Thursday, October 1, 2015

Isla Grey Launches New Contemporary Romance,ASYLUM HARBOR



Today I’m happy to welcome fellow Rose, Isla Grey with her brand new release “Asylum Harbor”. Congratulations, Isla! I'm so excited for you.
Please tell us a little about your book.

Hi, Barbara!  Thanks for letting me stop by today. ASYLUM HARBOR is a contemporary romance with a little bit of suspense and action/adventure thrown in.  It tells the story of  of Devon Brown who packs up and leaves her home to become the new bartender of the Salty Dog on Shell Island.  She’s not looking for trouble or romance, but she finds it in abundance when she finds herself falling for the brash and brooding harbor master, Kerr.

Kerr is looking for anything but romance but can’t help but take an interest in the island’s new, no nonsense bartender.  But when a simple flirtation starts to turn serious, the two find that there are serious obstacles in the way of their “happily ever after”.  When the situation turns dangerous, Devon realizes that even the still waters of Asylum Harbor are no refuge during a storm.

What other books have you published?

My first book A VOICE IN THE DARK was released last year.  It’s more of a romantic suspense and a little creepier than ASYLUM HARBOR.
 
What draws you to this genre?

I think it’s mainly the idea of two people finding each other and falling in love, but not without obstacles.  I always say I write a “happy for now but there could be some bad things coming” story.

What inspired you for this particular story?

It was a family trip a few years ago to the beach.  We made a day trip to a place called Shell Island.  Yes, this place actually exists but it’s uninhabited except for a few birds.  Most people visit during low tide to find sea shells and sand dollars.

Was any character particularly stubborn in cooperating with you during the writing process?

Diane was particularly hard.  Her personality has changed a few times since she first appeared on the page.  I wanted her to be likeable to an extent but she still has unlikeable qualities and actions.  You don’t know whether or not you can trust her.

If you had to describe this book as a color, what would that color be?

Blue – it reminds me of the water of Asylum Harbor and the clear skies surrounding Shell Island.

If you had to describe the book as a taste, what would it be?

Definitely Salty – not only from the salty water and air but also for the Salty Dog, the only bar on the island.

Special place you like to write?

Believe it or not, I’m most productive when I’m waiting in the carpool lane at my daughter’s school.  It’s peaceful and quiet so I usually show up about an hour early to write…and to get a good spot in line!

Goodness. I envy you that concentration to write there! Challenges with finding other writing time?

It’s always a challenge to find a good time to write.  I do have a full time job where I’m up early during the week.  There’s also my seven-year-old daughter who usually gets most of my time and my dad, whose health has declined over the last couple years.  I won’t even talk about things that pop up during the day or the cats who know when I try to sit down and work.  By the end of the day, my goal is to curl up in bed and get some sleep!

What’s your next project?

I’m just about finished writing the follow-up to “Asylum Harbor”, currently titled “Adrift”.  There’s still some more trouble to get into on Shell Island.  I also have an idea for a third book and maybe even a fourth, if the characters are still talking to me.

What one tip would you offer writers?

I saw this in a magazine a few years ago and cut it out.  It’s on my desk, next to my computer just in case I get in a mood where I don’t want to do anything.  It says “Writer’s Write”.

Thanks, Isla. Please come back again soon. Now, please give us a sample of your book.

 Blurb:
Trouble is the last thing Devon Brown needs when she leaves the painful memories of her past behind and heads to Shell Island.  As the Salty Dog’s new bartender, she finds herself drawn to Kerr, the Shell Island harbormaster.  But finding her happily-ever-after is difficult when dealing with an obnoxious bootlegger who supplies the bar with illegal liquor and a jealous coworker.
A standoffish loner with damaged emotions, Kerr avoids relationships like the plague.  Things change when Devon catches his eye.  When a simple flirtation grows serious, the coworker and bootlegger quickly become obstacles to any future Kerr and Devon may have together.  As the situation worsens, Devon realizes that even the still waters of Asylum Harbor are no refuge during a storm.

 Excerpt: 
“You already got dibs on this one Kerr?”
Porter shot an evil glare at the opposite end of the bar and looked back toward her.  “I’ll see you tonight.”  He flicked his tongue.  “After work.”  He raised his glass in a mock toast and chugged it in one gulp.

 The lights dimmed for Victoria’s dance of the night.  Devon watched Kerr, who was usually headed for the exit by now, and breathed a sigh of relief when he remained glued to his seat with his back to the stage.  He wasn’t staying for Victoria’s peep show.  There must have been something about this Porter character that got under his skin in a bad way.

Devon was eager for the quick break.  She hustled to the back as the chords to “Simply Irresistible” began to pelt over the speakers and ran some cold water over her forearm.  A red welt was beginning to show where Porter had held onto it.  She hoped he would be gone by the time she got back.

Making it out before mid-song, Devon rounded the bar when someone snagged her wrist and thrust her hard against the bar, knocking the wind out of her.  She could smell Porter’s alcohol-laced breath as his weight pinned her under him.  One of his grubby hands shot under her shirt while the other wrestled with the button on her pants.  “Let’s give them a real show.”

She struggled to reach the Equalizer, but it remained hidden, out of her grasp.  Devon hoisted her knee toward his crotch, but Porter lost his balance and fell backward before she could make contact.

Kerr towered over him.  “Get your hands off her.” 

Bio:

Isla Grey is from Central Virginia and still lives in the same small town she grew up in. She developed a love of writing at an early age and over the years has tried her hand at penning poetry (some good, some not so good), screenwriting, newspaper articles and historical stories. She’s “old school” when it comes to writing and is a hoarder of more pens, post-it notes and writing journals than she’ll ever need. Isla likes to write different types of stories from romance to mystery and anything in between and loves a “happy for now but there could be some bad things coming” feel.

When Isla’s not writing, she spends her time being called “Mom, Mama, Mommy” (well, you get the picture) by her daughter who is forever active, even in her sleep. She considers herself an unofficial “cat whisperer” and is a pet human to a plethora of cats that have taken up residence at her home over the years. Isla also enjoys reading a good biography or ghost story, traveling even though “there’s no place like home”, good music played loud and walking. 

Isla loves movies and is the movie mistakes editor at Bellaonline.com where she talks about…well…movies.  Her novella, A VOICE IN THE DARK is available now and her book, ASYLUM HARBOR, was released September 16, 2015 through Wild Rose Press.

You can connect with Isla at:
Book Trailer:


Asylum Harbor Buy Links:

Amazon:

Amazon UK:

All Romance Ebooks:

Barnes & Noble:

Bookstrand:

Kobo:
 



16 comments:

  1. Welcome Isla. I really like the sound of your new book. How suspenseful! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, ladies! And I love that advice - Writers write. I like to give that advice as well - but I also remind people that writers need to read - and I loved reading your book! Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Sometimes finding the time is a challenge. (Like when school is cancelled for the day!)

      Delete
    2. You're right, Katie. Writers write--such great advice. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  3. Hi Isla!

    Wonderful interview and advice writers write. I have a sign on my wall that says you should be writing with the Avengers pictured pointing at me. Makes me laugh, but write also Your book is next on my to be read list. Looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tena! I had to laugh at the Avengers comment. My daughter is obsessed...and every time she's in the car with me, she plays the Avengers theme song endlessly.

      Delete
    2. Ah for those youngster days. Now I force my g/daughter to go to the Avengers with Me :)

      Delete
  4. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens next. Good luck Isla!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! There's still plenty of trouble to come.

      Delete
    2. Oh, good, we can expect more challenges to come!

      Delete
  5. Yes, writers write! My favorite motto. Best wishes with the new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angelina. Thanks for being here. Isla's book sounds so intriguing, I'm going to have to move it up on my Kindle!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for letting me stop by today. I had a BLAST talking about writing and Asylum Harbor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isla, it's been great having you here today and I wish you many happy sales!!

      Delete