Thursday, January 15, 2015

Lynda Coker Celebrates STORMEE WATERS


I'm happy to welcome my fellow Rose, Lynda Coker, who is celebrating a new book. STORMEE WATERS was released Wednesday. Congratulations, Lynda. Now that your latest work is out, you're probably in the midst of creating your next story. Where is your favorite place to write?
 
I have one room in the house that doubles as a writing and art studio. My author area occupies one side and my artsy stuff occupies the other. They don't seem to mind sharing the same space. 


Do you have a favorite hobby or pastime, when you're not in the midst of writing?
I have always like to design and have had a love affair with fabric for a long time. So I quilted for many years then wondered into the world of designing fiber art wall-hangings.  While a piece can be intricate and time consuming, I find the process quite enjoyable and a definite change from writing.
 
When you're ready to write, what do you do when fresh ideas just won't come?

I stop writing and start day-dreaming, playing the what if game. I think about where I’m stuck in the story and start questioning every conceivable plot change, personality twist, motive, conflict, and resolution. In playing the game, I guess you could say that I really go off the deep end... What I mean is, I reach for the extreme, fanatical, impossible, or crazy answers. None of those ever end up in my stories, but they serve as springboards to new ideas and inspiration.

 What do you think makes good writing?
For fiction, a writer must tell the story that lingers in their mind and heart, from their perspective, with their feelings. Tell the story they would like to read. I want characters that aren't perfect so that through their struggles and change, I come to care about them and want to stay in their story, even wondering how their lives are progressing long after I've finished the book.

That does make the best story of all--wondering later how the characters are doing! Thanks so much for visiting. Please share a bit of STORMEE WATERS.

 Love to. Here's the blurb:

Dirk Savage never fails to acquire what he wants until he encounters Stormee Waters and a backwash of trouble...

Stormee Waters knows about hard times. Needing to care for her aging grandmother and teenage brother, she moves to Houston, Texas and takes a writing job for a popular magazine. Her first assignment is to interview a successful business man for a series of articles entitled, Make My Man Texas-Sized. Her target, Dirk Savage, appears to have the right criteria. He's adventurous with the air of a conqueror. Admired by his peers and coveted by beauty queens and debutantes, he's just the type of man that Stormee needs to make her first article sizzle and sell. But can she handle the heat when she catches his attention?

Dirk Savage is used to acquiring what he wants, except in the illusive quest for the one woman who can fill his heart. The shock of discovering her in the naive young woman assigned to interview him sets his jaded emotions on high alert. Can he convince her that his pursuit is genuine?
  
Excerpt:

Her palm itched to slap his arrogant jaw. But hitting the most unpredictable man she’d ever met, even in a public restaurant, couldn’t be a smart move. She snatched her phone from his hand. “You’re past being impossible! Who do you think you are—my father?” She shook with indignation.

The bit about their age difference came out of nowhere. The tightening of his concrete jaw confirmed she’d hit the retaliation jackpot. She didn’t bother to hide the smugness in her expression or the satisfaction she received when his complexion darkened with indignation.

“If I were your father, Miss Waters, I'

d march you out to the car and tan your pretty little backside for not knowing what’s good for you.”

“Take me home,” she hissed through tight lips. Executing a dismissive turn, she stalked toward the exit.

 Dirk stepped in stride beside her and placed his hand in the middle of her back. “Exactly what I’d suggest since you have preparations to finish. A car will pick you up at 5:00 a.m. and get you to the airport in time to make a 6:00 a.m. flight.”
She stopped walking and turned to face him. “I can’t make a reservation that fast. I’m sure the earliest will be tomorrow afternoon, or evening.”

“I have a private plane. I can get you to Chicago quicker than a commercial flight.” He gripped her upper arm and urged her toward the exit.

Stormee balked and rolled her eyes. “I don’t care if you have a space shuttle. You’re not taking me to Chicago.”
 ~~~~~~~~
Find Lynda here:

Blog:  http://betweenthelinesandmore.blogspot.com
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/lyndacoker
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/lyndacoker
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/lyndacoker/

Find Stormee and Dirk here:
The Wild Rose Press: http://www.wildrosepublishing.com/maincatalog_v151/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=195&products_id=6034
Amazon:  http://amzn.com/B00R9YQZTK

8 comments:

  1. Good Morning Barbara,
    It's so nice of you to host a spotlight and interview for my new release, STORMEE WATERS. I'm making cornbread salad for lunch so I'll bring enough for everyone. I love chatting with a plate of food in my lap and a cup of coffee on the side. I think it's something to do with being a Southern girl...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda,
    Oh, my cornbread salad sounds wonderful. My husband's sisters used to make it all the time, but I haven't had it for ages! Thanks for being here with your latest. It sounds terrific. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! What is cornbread salad?
    Your book sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it sound tempting? I'm definitely going to look that recipe up. Good to see you here, Red. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hi Red,
    Thanks for stopping by. I've included a link to a good cornbread salad recipe. Unusual but good! http://www.southernplate.com/2012/07/cornbread-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your excerpt. I wish you all the luck with your release!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hebby. So glad you stopped by. I agree--Lynda's excerpt certainly made me want to read the book right now!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Hebby. I know all my writer friends are extra busy people, so I really appreciate the effort it takes to visit and comment. Let's all have a great storytelling year in 2015!

      Delete