Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Writers Wednesday: Mimi Foster and Prizes





 THREE GREAT PRIZES. WELCOME EVERYONE.
We have Exciting News Today: Guest Mimi Foster is offering a Special Giveway:  two of her books (ebook or paperback, winners' choice). In addition, she's giving away a $20 Gift Certificate to the location of the winner's choice:Amazon, Barnes & Nobel, Staples, Starbucks, etc.) So leave your email address with your comment. Drawing on Saturday.
Let's welcome Mimi, whose book THUNDER SNOW was released in July of this year.

Good morning, Barbara, and thank you so much for having me here today.

What a great title. Please tell us a little about the book.

THUNDER SNOW is a hot and steamy but tender contemporary romance set in the enchanting town of Nederland, CO, which is about an hour outside of Denver. It’s a small town that is serious about its ‘live and let live’ attitude, and has been the perfect hideaway for our hero, Jack Franklin, to have escaped from the world. He’s a man with a secret who has become adept over the past few years at ignoring tourists who trek through his sanctuary.

Then hotshot young realtor Callie Weston comes to town to seek safe haven in her father’s enchanting cabin built into the hillside overlooking the water, and Jack’s peace and quiet is threatened. Trying to elude her own demons, Callie retreats, hoping to find solace in this unique, picturesque hamlet.

Soon the locals are treating this auburn-haired beauty as one of their own – except Jack. As sparks fly between them, he does his best to drive her away. She’s tired of running, and has no intention of backing down from her plans of holing up for the winter away from the rat-race of life. But the closer they get to each other, the more their pasts converge to try to keep them apart.

All the ingredients of an exciting story. What drew you to it?

I am a hopeless romantic at heart and had been writing a national real estate blog for a while. I loved sharing stories, but wanted ones that would get people emotionally involved. Someone told me about NaNoWriMo in 2011, and I thought it was such a great idea. Since it was after the first of the month and the contest had already started, I decided to write about something I knew wouldn’t take too much research, so I made my heroine a realtor and put them in a town I love. I got about 25,000 words done that November then put it on the shelf for a while. But the story kept calling to me, and late last year I made it my goal to get it done.

So many authors cite NaNoWriMo as the genesis of their books. Would you share an excerpt?

Love to. Here you are.

Was it possible she hadn’t noticed him in the booth behind her when she sat down? Dear God, how could she not notice? Jack wondered. He had thought of little else since meeting her.

“You got business here in town?” Jack was surprised when the words actually left his mouth. There was a slight hesitation before she answered. Maybe she hadn’t known he was there.

“Uh huh,” she said, opening the paper.

“Staying long?”

His peace and quiet had been disturbed since this attractive stranger walked in last night. Hair the color of well-aged cherry wood, it was tied with a ribbon of the same color. It bothered him that he noticed that detail. Met with silence, he continued to push as if he had a right to know.

“What brings you to town?”

“Alice,” she said, inclining her head toward the window.

Looking in that direction and seeing no one, he turned back to her. “Alice?”

He understood what she was doing. He had been rude with his one-word responses when they met, and it looked like she was giving as good as she got.

“Alice – my car. She and Anita take me wherever I want to go,” she said, paging through the newspaper.
           
“Ok, I’ll bite, who’s Anita?” He was beside her now, standing close enough to smell her fresh scent, wanting her to be aware of his proximity, surprised he was pressing for answers. Her spontaneous smile lit deep emerald eyes as she took a sip of coffee. She was perfection.
           
“My GPS. You know . . . Ah-Need-A address. Anita tells me where to go, Alice gets me there.” Her laugh crinkled her flawless nose. Finally looking him in the eye, he felt like he’d been sucker punched by what appeared to be her innocent sensuality.
           
“Ah, a wise ass. You still haven’t answered. How long you here for?”

“As long as it takes,” she replied cryptically, unsatisfactorily, moving ever so slightly away from him. He wondered what she was hiding.

“As long as what takes?” Did he really just fall for that? Why was he goading her? He’d only seen her once. What was wrong with him? He hadn’t let a woman get under his skin like this since Marcie. Just the thought of Marcie could make him crazy. He threw some bills on the table for the coffee that sat cold in his cup. Nodding to Sam as he left, he paused next to Callie. “It’s not important how long you’re here, as long as you’re gone soon.”

Don’t stop now. I’m waiting for Callie’s smart come-back. She’s bound to have one. LOL. You’ve set up great romantic tension just with the give-and-take of their interaction here.
What’s your next project?

I’m really excited about the next book in the Thunder on the Mountain Series. There are three stand-alone stories, all set in Nederland. I expect to have Book 2 published by November of this year. There is a teaser for it at the end of THUNDER SNOW, and the working title is THUNDER STRUCK. It’s about a young New York lawyer who inherits a Bed and Breakfast on a hillside overlooking the water. When she finds her fiancé cheating on her, she decides to leave the City for a while and check out the ancestral home.

Sounds like a good concept and the series name is full of mysterious implications. Best of luck with all the titles. What one tip would you offer writers?

The best advice that helped me was ~ get the first draft done. I see so many people write a chapter, then rewrite it, then write it again. The first draft is not the time for ANY editing. It’s a time for getting your thoughts and ideas down, get the flow of the story down, get your plot established, know where the story is going, let your fingers fly over the keyboard. THEN you go back and edit, add pretty words, take out hundreds of words and add hundreds of words, then rearrange sentences, paragraphs, and chapters. The best thing I have done for myself in writing this book is to make notes in a separate file of ideas that come to mind that I will fill in – later. I don’t go back during the draft to figure out where it will fit. All of that will fall into place when the draft is done. That’s when the real story takes shape, in the editing phase. (And if you’re using Scrivener, it makes it very easy.)
Oh My Gosh, that’s such an important point—finish the draft, then work on it.

How do your stories ‘come to you’ at first – through characters, setting, storyline?

The idea for THUNDER SNOW came to me through setting and storyline. I went to college in Boulder, which is about twenty minutes outside of Nederland. It is a small mountain town built around a large reservoir and has long been a ‘hippie hangout,’ very laid back. There is a surprise ending to the book that came to me before the story was ever written, and I built the story around it in a town that I love. In my second book, there is a lot of real-life situation coupled with some mystical fantasy. I have been a Realtor for decades and specialize in Victorian homes. I have often wished that the walls could talk and tell of lives that were lived in these beautiful old homes. I’m really excited to share this story.

We have several old Victorian homes in my part of the country, too, that have a lot of history lurking in them. I can certainly see how they could prompt story ideas. Do you have a special place you like to write?

I am someone who needs total peace and quiet. No music, no talking, no distractions. Since that is often not possible in my day-to-day life, my personal niche has become that 4:30 am to 8:00 am time slot. I am getting better with noise if I already have an idea, but if I’m in a truly creative mode, I like it quiet. I have an overstuffed chair in my office, and I love to sit with a cuppa coffee and my laptop and write – unfiltered – as long as I can.

It sounds lovely. Do you have challenges with finding writing time?

For me the early morning hours really work. My biggest challenge is always – not opening my email when I open my computer J. I get hundreds of emails every day, and when I open and start filtering, I lose a lot of my writing time if I do that first. So it has taken a lot of discipline not to get sidetracked with email, and then I’m pretty consistent with carving out the time to write.
That is so true, Mimi! Once I open email, I’m lost for hours. I need to make this your writing tip to me.

It’s been great having you stop by today, Mimi. We’ll leave the comment option open for the rest of the week so more people will have the chance to sign up for the fantastic give-aways you’re offering.

Now where can we go to find THUNDER SNOW?

My book is on sale through Amazon for 99 cents, and my website (Mimi Foster Books) will also take you directly to the purchase page. I have several blog tours set up over the next month, and those dates can be found on my site as well. There will be a give-away on each blog tour, so be sure to tune in.  

And may I add here that I LOVE your website, Barbara. The colors are pleasing, there is a lot of detail without being too busy, it’s easy to maneuver, and it’s a peaceful place to be. Good job!

Thank you so much, Mimi. I love it too! I have to admit I could never have done it on my own. Kim Killion of Killion Group designed it. 

It's been great having you visit today, Mimi. Best of luck with THUNDER SNOW and the next installment in the series. I hope you'll come back soon.

**Don't forget to leave your email at the end of your comments. Winners will be drawn and announced on Saturday.

40 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi,

    Welcome to the blog. So glad to have you here. Good luck on your upcoming blog tour.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Barbara! I'm excited to be here. And I just purchased SILVERHAWK. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title too. Thanks for the excerpt - and the contest/giveaway.

    Lea Ellen {night owl in IL}
    borg_66@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Lea Ellen. Thanks for stopping by. Nederland was the only place I've ever experienced Thunder Snow, so I thought it was appropriate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lea-Ellen, Glad you stopped by. We actually have thunder snow in Missouri occasionally. One of the reasons Mimi's title struck me so.

      Delete
  5. Great post, ladies! Wonderful advice about carving out writing time. I need to do that!

    Can't wait to curl up with the book:)

    Best of luck!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Jenn. Thanks for stopping by! It's still early in the morning and I'm deep into my writing mode. Do you find that it's sometimes hard to come back to reality after you get really involved in a scene? It's SO much fun!

      Delete
    2. Hello Jenn. The writing time advice really spoke to me, as well. Glad you're here.

      Delete
  6. Thunder Snow sounds great - as does the next book in your series. Love the excerpt and tension you've built. The characters are already grabbing me! On my way to Amazon after I leave this comment -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Ashantay, on the next book in the series. Mimi, are you writing fast? LOL. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I do a happy dance every time I think of Book 2 LOL - It's TOTALLY different than Book 1, but I hope to have it published by late October. TY!

      Delete
  7. Good morning ladies! I just read the excerpt of Thunder Snow and I love it! Seems like a very romantic story, I like that your hero is a bit of a loner...I would love the opportunity to read your book Mimi. And thank you Barbara, for making me discover a new-to-me author and her book! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole. I agree, the story sounds so romantic and I love the snappy interplay between the h/h. Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
    2. oops I forgot my email: nlaverdure88@videotron.ca

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Nicole! I look forward to interacting with you. All of my life I have escaped to a world of romance. I am now blessed to be married to my own romantic hero. It inspires me! ;)

      Delete
  8. Mimi, Janet Gallagher contacted me on Facebook and said she wasn't able to leave a message. However, she said she loved the writing tips and couldn't wait to read you book.

    And thanks, Jan, for taking the extra step to tell Mimi how much you enjoyed her post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, Barbara. Another friend contacted me and said the same thing? And a shout out to Jan for making the effort! Thank you! We'll get her email address.

      Delete
  9. Please make sure, if you are trying to leave a comment, that you have selected an identity in the "Comment as:" drop-down below. Then it will ask you to verify that you are, in fact, human, and then you have to hit Publish again. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mimi,
    I have read Thunder Snow and loved it. Anxiously awaiting for Thunder Struck. Hard to believe you are new at writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie! There is a teaser at the end of book 1 for book 2, and I am looking forward to finishing the story. It keeps taking unexpected twists and turns that are a lot of fun. Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete
    2. Thunder Struck sounds intriguing, I agree Debbie. And that she's new to it all. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Been following Mimi's writing on her blog for some time, thrilled she has taken it to the next level. Hope Thunder Snow is just the beginning! Bravo Barbara Bettis for bringing Mimi Foster to your readers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your continued encouragement, Nick. It has been an incredibly fun transition. And best of luck to you with YOUR new novel endeavor, Under the Skin. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Nick, thanks for being here. Wonderful support you give Mimi. I'm very glad she's here ;)

      Delete
  12. I like your excerpt and love stories set in small towns--maybe because I live in a small town! Thanks for the excerpt and thanks Barbara for hosting you.
    Karri@KarriLynHalley.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Karri. I think it's easier to get people together if they aren't in a big city :) Having just returned from NYC, I definitely think that now :))) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karri. We small-towners know they're just a microcosm of the city. They may seem calm, but underneath--it's all there LOL> Glad to meet you.

      Delete
  13. Great questions Barb! Great Answers Mimi! I loved the excerpt. It's been awhile since I've read a romance. This one sounds wonderful. Mimi- I don't know how you do a 4:30 AM writing time. I'm more of a night owl myself. I like to write from 10 pm until 2 am. Thank you for sharing!
    Samantha McMillian
    sjm4me@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny thing, Samantha. I have five daughters. Three were morning people, two were night owls. As they got older, there were about six overlapping hours and then some were going to bed while the others were just starting their day. Whatever works for YOU, run with it! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
    2. Hi Samantha, This may definitely be the book to lure you over to the romance side. G.lad you came by

      Delete
  14. Here's a great comment for you Mimi, from VJ Schultz. "Love, love the title and cover. Looks like a winner of a story.

    Regards,
    VJ Schultz | mysterywtr@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, VJ! The name Thunder Snow has been a secret love of mine since I was in college. Glad it resonates! :)

      Delete
  15. From Pamela Quick: Mimi and I went to high school together. I'm so proud of her and excited
    to see she's enjoying this much deserved success. We're all anxiously
    awaiting her second novel now!

    Regards,
    Pamela Quick | Ppammykins77@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pamela, what an AMAZING encouragement you are to me. We won't tell people how many decades ago those high school days were, but thank you SO much for your wonderful support.

      Delete
  16. Ella Quinn's comment: loved the interview and the excerpt. Tweeted.

    Regards,
    EllaQuinn | ella@ellaquinn.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the shout out, Ella! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  17. Love Nederland! Love the title, love the cover, guess I should read to book so I can love that too!

    sharondavis1832@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, love Nederland, Sharon. I was from Florida and went to college in Boulder. I missed the water all the time. When you come around the bend in the road from Boulder to Nederland and see the water, it's breathtaking :) Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. Love Contemporary Romance and this one sounds very interesting and fun. I like your FMC's snarky responses. Great title too! Good luck with this and the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by, Wanda! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete