Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Writers Wednesday: Welcome Lynn Cahoon


Today I’m happy to welcome my friend and MoRWA chapter mate Lynn Cahoon, whose newest book RETURN OF THE FAE is now out. Lynn is a “contemporary romance author with a love of hot, sexy men, real and imagined. Her alpha heroes range from rogue witch hunters, to modern cowboys, to hot doctors, sexy in scrubs. And her heroines all have one thing in common, their strong need for independence. Or at least that’s what they think they want.”

Thanks for having me over Barb!

RETURN OF THE FAE, which has received wonderful reviews, is a change of pace from your Bull Rider series. Please tell us a little about the book.  

A witch in training, a hunter on the prowl, and a world in jeopardy.

Learning the rules of being a witch takes years, but Parris McCall needs to master them in only weeks. Ty Wallace is going mad with his desire for Parris, but she’s a distraction in his quest to find Coven X before they take The Council and everyone he knows down.

The couple searches for Ty’s mentor, but he’s disappeared. Their only clue comes from a banished witch. When they return, not only are their own lives threatened, but a new life hangs in the balance.

It sounds great, Lynn. I’m in awe of your ability to write effectively in a variety of areas. What’s your next project?
I just finished Book #2 of The Tourist Trap Mysteries.  I’ve got a third book to write for Kensington, but before I do that, I’m putting the finishing touches on a partial for HQ on a cowboy book and finishing the bull rider/ Shawnee Rodeo series with Jesse’s story – tentatively called THE BULL RIDER’S LAST RIDE.

Then I have to get back to The Council series and see where Ty and Parris are going next.

Let me just say, I was honored to get a sneak peek at one of you Tourist Trap mysteries, and I loved it. Can’t wait for you to visit us here when it is released.

What one tip would you offer writers?
There always needs to be a lake monster?  I’d probably been writing for a few years when I was in a late night over coffee discussion with a couple writer friends.  I was telling the basics of an idea I had – Joe kept throwing in the phrase, “and then the lake monster…” because the setting is a beautiful mountain cove with three cabins.  I kept telling him there’s no lake monster.  Finally, he said, if there isn’t a lake monster (or conflict) there isn’t a story.

Now, I always start my plotting (such as it is) with determining the lake monster.
Love "always have a lake monster."

How do your stories ‘come to you’ at first--through characters, setting, story line?
Setting. Definitely setting. The Bull Rider’s series started with a small Idaho mountain town that has the first major rodeo of the season the first weekend in May.  Then Lizzie’s family ‘resort’ is based on a small bar/cabin rental hot springs place on the road to Atlanta (Idaho again) where we’d stopped for a cold one on the way up to our favorite camping spot.

In RETURN OF THE FAE, Ty and Lizzie take a road trip to Cincinnati and locals will recognize several points of reference in the story. 
Because I’m a mystery writer as well, I’m always viewing sites we visit as possible body dumps.  I’m excited to visit Bristol, Tennessee, this next month to see what stories come out of our road trip.

Do you have a special place you like to write?
I’m tied to my desk. I like my desktop keyboard, my 32 inch monitor, and knowing I can do sprints – then hit the laundry – write more –then more chores.  I don’t have a lot of time, so I tried to carve out as much time on the weekend as possible.

Judging from your output, you make super use of the time you have. What other challenges do you have with finding time to write?

Since I teach a workshop in finding writing time, I should say I have NO challenges. LOL But I believe we teach best what we need to learn. For me, it’s a matter of making writing a priority.  As an un-contracted author, no one is going to ask you if you have written today. No one is going to send you to detention for not completing an assignment.  Unless you set up an accountability partner or a group. I’m in several – MoRWA goaltenders, a GIAM group, a monthly 50K challenge, and I have a personal accountability partner/friend who gently nudges if I miss too many days without putting down words.

Remember this; no one is going to be as invested in your success as you are.  So if you don’t care enough to do the work, you’re not going to be successful.  (Steps down off the soap box…)

Anything else you’d like to comment on I haven’t asked?
One of the things I didn’t know when I published my first book a year ago is how much my writing peeps would mean to me.  I have several groups who’ve come to my aid, time and time again. Find a writing group and jump in feet first. You’ll learn a lot.

I’ll be signing copies of my second book – THE BULL RIDER’S MANAGER at the August MoRWA meeting.

Thanks so much for being here today. I hope you’ll come back again.

Thanks for having me. I’m in the middle of my RETURN OF THE FAE  blog tour – stops can be found here - http://lynncahoon.wordpress.com/blog/

Return of the Fae is available at Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Return-of-the-Fae-ebook/dp/B00DJVH8V6
 Goodreads -http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5857424.Lynn_Cahoon
Twitter - https://twitter.com/LynnCahoon
Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/LynnCahoonAuthor
website - http://lynncahoon.wordpress.com/
Amazon author page - http://www.amazon.com/Lynn-Cahoon/e/B0082PWOAO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1



29 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me here today Barb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, I'm so glad you're my 'first' as the blog gets underway again. Best of luck with all your new projects. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post from a lovely author. Way to go, Lynn.
    -R.T. Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, trying this again. I think my previous comment went astray.

    Lynn, you're so dedicated to your writing, and that inspires me to do the same. Thanks for a great post...and I'll be borrowing your Lake Monster every now and then. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your original comment didn't make it, Jaye, but thanks for trying again. I agree with you--that Lake Monster image is great.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jaye! Thanks for your comment. I'm trying to work my way out of the day job to retirement. :)

      Delete
  4. Lynn, Ella stopped by but the comment was diverted. I wanted you to see it, so I'll post it myself.

    Great interview. I love the lake monster. Tweeted.

    Regards,
    Ella Quinn | ella@ellaquinnauthor.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right about writers groups. I've learned so much that way. And, that's how I know Barbara!

    Great interview, ladies. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. And if no one knows who this sdkeeling is, you'll be seeing a Lot of her in the future. Just as soon as her book is finished! Hurry.

      Delete
    2. Sharon - I was so scared my first meeting. I figured they'd kick me out for not being a real writer. But I've learned so much.

      Delete
  6. Lynn, you amaze me with all the irons you have in the fire. And I need to keep your words about making a priority in mind. I forget that all too often. And I am definitely going to start inviting more lake monsters to my plotting sessions. Thanks for the tip!

    Great interview, Barb!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maura. I agree about Lynn's productivity. We should all invite the lake monsters in :)

      Delete
    2. I was so mad at the guy that night. Finally I just stopped talking. But he was spot on.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on getting the blog underway again, Barbara! & Congrats on your release, Lynn.

    "One of the things I didn’t know when I published my first book a year ago is how much my writing peeps would mean to me."

    Agreed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy and thanks. I so agree with you and Lynn about writing peeps. Couldn't do without them.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Wendy! I loved meeting you NY.

      Delete
  8. oops, shoulda been "making writing a priority" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love "has to have a lake monster"? LOLOL. I love that. Also appreciate your 'soapbox' stance. So right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mairi! I can get pretty direct at times.

      Delete
  10. Barbara, glad to see you up and running again!

    Lyn, you're versatile indeed. Lovely book cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lyn. So good to see you.

      Delete
    2. I love my book cover. Lyrical does good covers, I have to say.

      Delete
  11. I absolutely love your cover. Congratulations on the release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary - I hope you have fun in Atlanta!

      Delete
  12. I'm taping "There always has to be a lake monster" above my computer! LOL! (Waving hi to another Kensington author. Your cozy mysteries sound intriguing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia - Woo hoo! You're my second Kensington author I've met. I'm excited for 2014. :)

      Delete