Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Writers Wednesday: Sandra Dailey


Today I’m happy to welcome Sandra Dailey, whose book TWICE THE TROUBLE was released on May 8. Sandra, I heard so many good things about your book before I added it to my TBR virtual pile. Please tell us a little about it.

The blurb gives the best description:

Lacey Carlyle has worked for years to create the perfect blend of home, business and family. Now she risks losing everything when the land she farms is bought by the man who abandoned her thirteen years ago.

Alex has never understood why Lacey walked away from him. Now, he holds the deed to her farm and intends to make her pay. The only problem – two kids weren’t part of the plan.

Jenna and Jerrod may not see eye-to-eye but they are both determined to find happiness for their mom and keep their home safe.

Can Lacey and Alex put their pasts behind them and embrace a future together?

What drew you to this story? 

Raising my own children on a Florida farm, we faced more unusual situations than I could ever find room for in a hundred books. I thought it would be fun to let my readers see a bit of that part of our life.

My editor toned down some scenes because she didn’t believe pre-teen children could handle what I’d described, but I think it still conveys the grit and determination of kids who grow up in rural communities.

Yes, we were in rural Midwest, and kids could certainly have determination. Would you share a little with us from the novel?

In this excerpt, Alex, my hero, meets Jerrod and Jenna for the first time after being caught kissing their mother, Lacey.

“You’d better let my mom go right now, mister, or I’ll pound a hole in your head.”

Alex spun around to find a gangly young boy only three feet from his back. First, he saw the stubborn scowl under a mass of curly, sun streaked, dark auburn hair. Then he noticed the hammer the boy was bouncing in his right hand. Damn, this kid was serious. Alex said the first thing that came to mind.

“Who the hell are you?”

Lacey cleared her throat. “Alex, this is my son, Jerrod.”

Still not releasing her, Alex swung his head back to look down at Lacey. “You have a kid?”

“Well, actually…” Before she could answer, another voice came from the side of the house.

“You want me to shoot him, Jerrod?”

Alex looked to his left. There stood a skinny young girl wearing a cowboy hat. She was glaring at him from over the barrel of a shotgun. Indian Lakes had changed. It had its own little gang right here on Lacey’s farm.

“You’d better not,” Jerrod replied. “You’d get us all in your spray. You should have brought the twenty-two. Then I would’ve gladly let you plug him.”

Lacey finally succeeded in wiggling out of Alex’s grasp.

“Jenna, you put that shotgun away. Mr. Benson is my guest and you’re scaring him.
I want you both to go inside and wash up for lunch.”

Alex was awe struck. “You have two kids…and they carry weapons.”

“Well, not usually,” Lacey sighed. “You know how dangerous it can be, out in the country, snakes and gators and such.”

“I do now!”

Sounds great, Sandra. What’s your next project?

I’m currently working on a series of contemporary romance short stories, (about 25k), called Men of Daviston. It takes place in a small South Florida town and a nearby cattle ranch. My inspiration was the ranch where my husband was raised on the north boarder of the Everglades. Each story will follow the last but can also be read separately.

What one tip would you offer writers?

I think the most important thing you have to do is find a writing schedule that works for you. It doesn’t matter if you write in the predawn hours or late at night. It’s the same as any other job. You have to be devoted to it.

The next thing you have to do is make other people respect your schedule. I don’t know how many times I’ve had someone interrupt me by saying something like, “Since you’re not really doing anything…” or, “I saw you were just playing on the computer…”

You have a special gift. What you’re doing is important. Don’t let people minimize it or make you feel guilty for doing something you love.

Can you imagine walking into their workplace and saying something like that?

Turn off the phones and put a sign on the door.

What great advice. I’ve got to take that myself. Where can be find your titles?

TWICE THE TROUBLE is available at all ebook retailers including:  Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble ~ The Wild Rose Press
And you may also like THE CHIEF’S PROPOSAL available at: Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble ~ The Wild Rose Press

Thanks so much for being here today, Sandra, and best of luck with the these and with your planned series. I hope you’ll come back again. 

Thank you for hosting me on your beautiful blog. I can’t wait to come back.  I’d be glad to reply to comments from your visitors or they can reach me at: http://www.sandradailey.blogspot.com http://www.facebook.com/sandradailey.author http://www.twitter.com/sdaileyauthor

23 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra,

    Thanks for being here today. Your excerpt sounds lovely. I can't wait to get to the book.

    Best of luck,

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it Barbara. I'm looking forward to yours, also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's coming up faster than I thought. I'm getting really excited.

      Delete
  3. Sandra, what kind of farm did you own in Florida? Looking forward to reading Twice the Trouble :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grew tomatoes, bell peppers, melons and whatever the market would pay the highest price for. South Florida is a two crop zone. We harvested in spring and again in fall. No down time between.

      Delete
    2. What an intensive schedule.

      Delete
  4. You're so right about needing to respect your work time, and make everyone else respect it too. It's so easy to assume your schedule is flexible, so you can take that phone call and get back to writing later, but one thing after another comes up and soon your day is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a difficult thing to learn, too, Sharon. I've found I have to really be serious about setting aside certain times for doing email or social media, or the day can slip away. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I take breaks for food, emails, phone messages, social media, but when my kitchen timer buzzes after an hour, I have to get back to work.

      Delete
  5. I live on a Colorado farm, we have corn and a lot of animals. My daughter learned to drive at seven yrs old. No one but other farmers believe me! Your book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're a unique breed. Hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  6. We had corn and soy beans, along with the animals. And I do believe your driving stories. My brothers were driving the tractor at that age. It's lots easier to learn when you have a field to practice in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my husband was sixteen he taught his mother to drive in a cattle field. You see, never a dull moment.

      Delete

  7. Your book sounds delightful, Sandra. I love the excerpt. Those are two
    formidable kids!

    Regards,
    Lyn Horner | lynhorner@outlook.com

    (Lyn's post didn't 'take' so I'm passing it along, Sandra)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyn. I based them on Myriah and Evan, my own kids. They're still close, now 35 & 36.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great story line. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by, Lisa. I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  9. sounds like a great story. I look forward to adding it to my VTBR. Creative Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great excerpt! Sounds like a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete