Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Today I’m happy to welcome Emily Ryan-Davis, a versatile young authorwhose work spans genres from erotic to urban fantasy to paranormal. So glad you’re here, Emily. Please tell us a little about your most recent book.

I just turned in an erotic romance novella to my Ellora’s Cave editor so I’m in edits, of course. Right now I’m also working on three separate things (ahhh, my brain!) and they’re all very different. My primary project is PAINT IT WHITE, book two of the gothic urban fantasy/paranormal romance series I launched in July with PAINT FOR BLOOD.






I’m trying to decide how much trouble I want to write myself into with the series. Dessa Collier, the heroine of PAINT FOR BLOOD, has a vampire love interest who is seriously unhappy with her at the beginning of book two. When I was drafting the first chapter of the new book, an intriguing character named Evander Willows popped into Dessa’s story. Willows is a Louisiana shapeshifter with some supernatural issue that’s going to carry the book (no, I haven’t figured out his issue yet--such is the life of a pantser). I think he also has some compelling sexual chemistry to offer a woman whose lover is hovering in uncertain “friend? enemy?” territory.


Research is taking me into post-hurricane New Orleans and all the supernatural chaos I can cook up.


My other projects are an erotic paranormal novella (werewolves! Lots of them!) and an erotic contemporary ménage, which will be available this holiday season.

What draws you to these genres?


I’ve always loved the romance genre, but after several years of dabbling here and there in a variety of subgenres (futuristic, historical, contemporary, paranormal, and even gothic) I’ve concluded I’m really drawn to…all of them. It’s the emotional intensity--two people can be irresistibly drawn to one another regardless the time frame or the world on which they reside.

What truly draws me to romance and all its subgenres (mostly steamy and erotic, I admit it) is I’m not only allowed to write about that magnetic attraction, I’m required to do it. Talk about a dream job.


Would you share an excerpt?


Absolutely! Can I share two? I have two very different books out right now and I can’t decide which is my favorite.


Please do. I know the readers will love it.

This is from PAINT FOR BLOOD, which is a novel about a housepainter from Georgia who, at 27, discovers she inherited more from her parents than attached earlobes and blonde hair.


“You told them to hide me.” Accusation edged her response. “Do you know I didn’t see the sun for almost a year? My grandmother had severe arthritis. It took months and months for her to carve each of those beads and paint them. I spent all that time waiting underground.”


“You needed protection. When I found you… you needed someone to keep you safe.”

She turned her face away, rejecting him. “I needed to see the sun.”
Her lips parted, and she drew a ragged breath. Her memory bled sadness like an open wound even though her dark period was long ago. He understood. He’d made peace with the night, but warmth and light were cravings he still harbored.



“Why didn’t you kill me that day?” she asked.


“Selfishness.”


“Do you regret your choice?”


“I regretted letting you go.”

“You tried to find me. To kill me?”


“Yeah,” he admitted. “And to taste you again.”


And this excerpt is from NAKED & UNLEASHED, a steamy erotic romance about a pair of New Yorkers who find they have more than being New Yorkers in common. (Note: This novella is a “dubious consent” story that’s not for the faint of heart, but that I hope conveys genuine love even through its dark themes.)


Backtracking through his apartment, she peripherally admired Mikal’s taste in décor. He trended toward a minimalist look with clean lines, wide-open spaces and a crisp black-and-white color scheme. Her favorite thing about Mikal was his blunt, direct approach. Even his environment was without subterfuge. A speck of dust couldn’t hide beneath the high set of his chairs. With the secrets she kept lately, she should have been uncomfortable surrounded by such transparency.

She stopped and stood still in the center of the enormous living room, moving nothing but her eyes. Nowhere to hide. She could flatten herself to the floor and squirm beneath the sofa but he’d find her there. She could crouch low and turn herself into a ball of limbs behind one of the high-backed chairs but he’d find her there too. The narrow gallery beyond the living room didn’t offer sanctuary, either. The unframed prints mounted on the walls wouldn’t hide her. Wouldn’t save her.


Nowhere to hide. He’d catch her if she ran.


Wetting her lips, she glanced up the stairs to the silent floor above. What would she have to do to make him chase her?

Very interesting pair of works, Emily. What’s your next project?

After I finish the second book in my gothic urban fantasy/paranormal series, “Dessa Collier: Vampire-Maker,” I’ll be moving on to the third book in the series. Beyond that, I haven’t planned too far ahead. I’m someone who operates on impulse and inspiration, so while right now I’m excited to get back to Dessa’s dark, angst-ridden and sometimes-scary paranormal world, who knows what I’ll feel like writing after that.


Maybe I’ll return to my futuristic world and write another “Manporium” tale, about a woman (or a man!) who genetically engineers a perfect mate and has to cope with the problems that arise from such a method…or maybe I’ll finally get around to writing the Russian ice fae novel.


Or maybe I’ll knit a pair of socks. I haven’t knitted in a while and new homemade wool socks would be awesome.

I don’t know…that Russian fae novel sounds fascinating. You can knit later. LOL. Do you have a tip you can offer writers?

Just one tip? Alright, if I have to choose just one, I highly recommend writers brace themselves for evolution. Their writing interests will change, the publishing world will change, what’s hot now will be cold tomorrow, what was cold yesterday will be hot next week. Writers who prepare themselves to be varied and adaptable will have a much easier time of it than writers who decide they’re going to write one thing and one thing only, and aren’t open to alternatives in either story types or publishing opportunities.


Very true. But for some of us (OK, me, perhaps) that might be easier said than done. I know I’m pretty much rooted in historical. So for all this writing--so you have a special place you like to work?

I don’t really have a special place beyond any place I can find that allows me to settle into my head and focus. Lately that means I escape my infant, husband and animals by fleeing to Starbucks (bonus! coffee!) but beyond that I’m flexible. I’ve written books from the living room sofa, from my bedroom, from my home office, from other peoples’ sofas--as long as I can ignore and be ignored, I’m good to go.


With a baby, I’ll bet you have challenges with finding writing time.


Challenges? Oh yeah, I have them. My little boy will be eight months old on August 11, and he is a crazy handful of wild little-boy energy. He started crawling three days after his six month birthday, started pulling himself up a week later, and now he fills his days with climbing, guinea pig and kitty chasing, and mommy loving. I’m afraid he’ll be walking by Labor Day!


Of course I have other demands on my time, but I resigned from my six-year position as a music lesson studio coordinator/manager at the end of May in order to write and child-rear, but I had no idea how much child-rearing would run over writing.


I know other authors do it with children, pets, jobs, family obligations, several books due at a time, but I can’t seem to get my act together. I wouldn’t trade this life for anything, but I’ve been seriously thinking about hiring a mother’s helper or personal assistant, something I never thought I’d even consider.


Still, it sounds as if you’ve found a way to meet all the demands, although having an assistant or helper would be wonderful.

Thanks so much for being here today. Much luck with your writingI hope you’ll come back again.

I had a great time! Thanks so much for your cyber hospitality.

Visit Emily here:

Web Site: http://www.scorchedsheets.com/
Blog: http://emilyryandavis.blogspot.com/
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/author.emilyryandavis
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/emilyryandavis
Newsletter: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/emily_ryandavis
Email: emily@scorchedsheets.com

PAINT FOR BLOOD buy links:
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gothic-fantasy-paranormal-romance-ebook/dp/B008J7MR4I/
BN: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/paint-for-blood-emily-ryan-davis/1112100208?ean=2940014621397
Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/204481
All Romance Ebooks: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-paintforblood-874390-139.html
PAINT FOR BLOOD September 3-7 blog tour information:
http://www.writermarketing.co.uk/prpromotion/blog-tours/currently-on-tour/emily-ryan-davis/
NAKED & UNLEASHED buy link:
http://www.jasminejade.com/p-10238-naked-unleashed.aspx

10 comments:

  1. HI Emily,
    So glad you are here today. You're one busy lady, with your baby, husband, and variety of writing projects. Best of luck with the writing--and with chasing that energetic 8-month-old.
    Come back and visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! Like you, I can't seem to find one sub-genre to stick to. I have a paranormal, several Regencies, and a couple of eroticas all vying for attention. :D One of the things I like about publishers like Ellora's Cave and Samhain (and digital publishing, in general) is that we can explore all the sub-genres without feeling like we're giving up our brands. We're not locked into one sub-genre for three to four books, like we'd be in a traditional contract. My muse likes having his creative freedom.

    Thanks for sharing the excerpts! Your books sound like fun, and I wish you luck in all your sub-genres.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Noelle, that epubs are great about understanding an authors drives to explore various genre. BTW, I didn't know you had Regencies out. I need to get over and download those. Well, perhaps I'll wait until I finish mine LOL.

      Thanks for being here.

      Delete
    2. Oops. That should be 'an author's.' LOL

      Delete
  3. Hi Emily! The books sound delicious! I'm kind of like Barb for the moment. Locked into Contemporary Mainstream fiction. I did write down a dream I had the other day that would definitely be a change if I decide to expand on the story. Glad I caught your blog in the light of day...I usually don't see these announcements until about 2 a.m. :D Have a great day! ~ / ~ Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, that dream sounds veerrry interesting. But your Contemporary Mainstream stories are doing so well, I can understand the desire to hold in that genre for a bit.

      And welcome. Glad you made it. LOL

      Delete
  4. Hi Emily - I agree - the e-pubs are a great way to explore your voice and sub genre place in the world. But also, it's a learning ground for all the non-writing tasks of a working writer.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi emily. Your books sound great. I haven't read an ebook yet, but I'm getting ready to take the plunge. Good luck with yours. I think having a husband, baby and life sounds pretty typical of young writers, but you manage. So kudos to the muse that keeps you writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you, Emily. Like you, I enjoy playing in more than one sub-genre of romance. I think it keeps my writing from becoming to static. Enjoy that precious little boy. He will only be doing this for a short time. Creative Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your books sound fantastic! Wishing you all the best with them. Sorry I'm so late to the party :( Great interview Barb & Emily!

    ReplyDelete