Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Writers Wednesday: Jean Rosenow

Today I’m happy to welcome a dear friend Jean Rosenow, whose wonderful book has just been released. Until work took her away, Jean was a member of our local critique group. We’ve all loved this story from the very first, and we’re so happy that it’s now out. It’s a beautiful story of compassion and love, first chances and ‘at last’ chances.

Thanks, Barb! I’m honored that you’ve asked me to drop by today.

Please tell us a little about the book.

The original title was PERSONALS. It started as a short story, published by Grit Magazine in 2004, and I thought that was the end of it. The characters, however, wouldn’t leave me alone…they had more to tell. When their story began to unfold in my head, I assumed it was simply the tale of Ira and Emma and their introduction through the Personals column, but then Rodney came into the picture and stole the show.

What drew you to this story?

People I’ve known and loved. We are only a generation or two away in history from routinely institutionalizing people with developmental disabilities. Some older adults, especially in rural areas, are still living with and being cared for by aging parents or other family members. Nowadays there are more options for supervised independent living without abrupt separation from family, and I hope that I’ve left the impression that this is the direction Rodney is heading. Also, I don’t feel that enough authors write for people into or past middle age. Many of us Baby Boomers no longer want heroes who are strapping young studs with six-pack abs and an inexhaustible supply of testosterone. We’re seasoned enough to value loyalty, respect, good manners and a gentle heart. Our heroes come with graying hair and a twinkle in their eye and they love us in spite of, or perhaps because of, our own signs of aging.

And I recall your saying how interesting--and rewarding--you found it that men who read the short story in the magazine dropped you notes saying how much they enjoyed Ira’s tale. Would you share an excerpt?

Sure. This scene takes place in the kitchen out at Joe’s farm when Ira first shares his dilemma with his old friend - that he has found a woman who just might be ‘the one’ through his personals ad, but she didn’t include any contact information…identifying herself only as the ‘Plain Woman’.

“Have ya et?” Joe asked. “I’ve got brown beans and light bread. Cooked ‘em yestiddy and there’s plenty left fer the two of us.”

“Sounds good. Why don’t we put them on the stove? I’ve got something I want to show you while they heat up.”
“What is it?” Joe asked as he took a Dutch oven out of the refrigerator and transferred some of its contents to a saucepan. “We’ll let these heat slow so they won’t scorch. Nothin’ worse than scorched beans.”

He shoved a pile of newspapers and machine parts to the far side of the
table and then pulled a plastic container of margarine out of the refrigerator and placed it in the middle with a loaf of white bread. He pulled his pocket knife out of his pocket, opened the blade and swiped it on the leg of his overalls before quartering a white onion, which he placed on a saucer and then he opened a can of fruit cocktail. He spooned the contents out in equal portions into custard cups and poured the syrup over the fruit, before asking “Say, do you like the cherries?”

Ira knew that Joe favored the cherries himself and so he said “No. Oh no, I never do eat the cherries.”

Joe poked through the fruit with a spoon and took all of the cherries for himself. “Well, what was it you wanted to show me?” he asked.

Ira felt the letter in his pocket and was suddenly loath to take it out and show it. It had, after all, been written to him alone. He had a sudden intuition that the Plain Woman wouldn’t like to know that he had shown her words to someone else.

“Oh, it wasn’t anything important, now that I think about it. Let’s just eat this feast you’ve set and then go check on those pigs again.”

Joe looked at him sharply and Ira avoided his eyes.

“Oh, look at you,” Joe said. “You’re keepin’ secrets. What’re you up to, anyway?” He pulled the pan of beans off the stove and set it directly on the table, then got a big spoon from the drawer to dip with.

“Help yerself. Maybe you’ll feel more like talkin’ when yer belly’s full. Ya ain’t leavin’ here until ya do, ya know.”

“Are we eating out of the same pan?” Ira asked, annoyed at the rush of heat he felt creeping up his neck.

“Oh, I forgot to get bowls. Here, let me wash a couple.”

“You might get a couple of spoons while you’re at it, too. And a knife for the butter.”

“My, ain’t we fancy today,” Joe sniffed, carrying the still-wet bowls and utensils to the table.

Ira busied himself filling his bowl with beans and then he spread margarine on a piece of bread. He folded it in half and took a bite of it, looking out the window as he chewed.

“Well, will you look at that. I do believe yer blushin’. Now I’d say this ‘unimportant thing’ yer not gonna tell me must have somethin’ to do with a woman to make ya color up like that. Ya ain’t gone and got yerself a galfriend, have ya?” Joe grinned hugely, looking at Ira. He took a bite of his own bread.

“Not exactly,” Ira sighed with resignation. He knew Joe would never let the subject drop until he had ferreted out every last detail.

“Remember those Personals ads we looked at while you were in the hospital?”

“Yep. Don’t tell me ya went and answered one. Ya did, didn’cha?” I knew ya would, ya rascal! I just knew it!” Joe laid his spoon down and gave Ira his undivided attention.

“Not exactly.”

“Well then, exactly what?”

“I wrote one.”

Joe hooted with laughter and slapped his thigh, leaning back on two legs of his chair. “Ya wrote one. If that don’t beat all. And then what happened? Did anybody write back?”

“A few did,” Ira replied cautiously.

“And you’ve picked one out, ain’t cha?”

“I might have.”

Joe’s chair came down on all four legs with a bang.

“So who is she? Have ya called her? Have ya taken her out courtin’?”

“That’s the problem. She didn’t sign her name. I don’t know who she is or how to find her.”

You have definite way of creating memorable--and realistic--characters. I recall someone very like Joe when I was young. What’s your next project?

I’m working on a novel set in the lumber boom of the late 1800’s. The lumber industry has always been an important source of income here in the Ozarks…especially during the westward movement. Cities needed lumber to build homes and businesses and the ever expanding railway system needed ties…lots and lots of ties. Jobs were created and Ozarks families could finally afford what they needed to make their lives a little easier. But what about the eco-system? How would the removal of all that virgin timber affect life for future generations? How did it affect the men and women who worked for the lumber companies? Was it a rape of our native collateral…or did it open the door for management and protection of our natural resources?

This will be a wonderful story. All too often we overlook local history, which is in danger of being lost. Good luck with the novel. What tip would you offer writers?

Keep track of your ideas…even the little ones. I keep a wicker basket on my desk – it’s full of gas receipts, scraps of paper, etc. with clever phrases I’ve heard, memories, sights, expressions – anything I might use later – written on the backs of them.An organized writer would categorize these and keep them in a neat filing system, but this works for me. And it’s fun to reach in sometimes and pull one out just to see what ideas or memories it can evoke.

How do your stories ‘come to you’ at first--through characters, setting, story line?

Usually setting, occasionally a character will come out of nowhere, but without the proper setting, I can’t find their stories.

Is there a special place you like to write?

Curled up in ‘my’ chair in the living room if there’s no one else home, or in my office if there is…I’m easily distracted. LOL

Sounds like you might have some challenges with finding writing time?

Heavens yes! Working five days a week, spending quality time with my husband, the boys and my friends, keeping the house reasonably livable in the midst of a massive remodel, keeping everyone fed so they don’t gnaw off a leg…writing time just has to fit in whenever there’s a minute or two to spare.

LOL. You are so conscientious, and I know your grown men appreciate all you do for them. But we all hope you can find time for your writing and that next story.Thanks so much for being here today. I hope you’ll come back again.

Anytime, Barb. I’m thrilled that you invited me.
Visit Jean website at http://jeanrosenow.com/ and her blog at http://roamingtheozarks.blogspot.com/

Here are buy links for her book.
http://www.amazon.com/Blessed-Pure-Heart-Jean-Rosenow/dp/1477624597/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342982700&sr=1-1&keywords=jean+rosenow

Or the short version: http://tinyurl.com/d36peu6

16 comments:

  1. Welcome Jean. I'm so happy that your book is finally out. It's great and I wish you all the best of good luck with it--and your WIP about the early Missouri lumber trade. Thank you for being here. Hugs, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara and Jean,
    Wonderful interview. I got Jean's book on Amazon but haven't had time to read it yet. I will have to make time for reading.
    Have a great day. The sun is shining, I am cool. Hope you are too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. Do make time for reading; it's wonderful. And keep cool, for sure LOL. Glad you came by.

      Delete
  3. Great excerpt, Jean! You WIP sounds wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allison. I agree that Jean's WIP sounds great. Hope she hurries and gets it finished. How's your next one coming? Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  4. I was the first to download this story! I started reading, but real life intervened. After reading that excerpt, I'm going to make time to get back to it. Congrats on the release. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about real life, Toni. You have your own new book recently released, too. Hope that's going well. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jean! Wishing you much success with this WONDERFUL story! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, you did a great job with the formatting and the cover (Kim, too LOL). Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  6. So glad your story is finally in print for others to read. The characters are delightful and the story endearing. Thanks Jean, for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaye. Isnt' it wonderful that Jean joins you now in the published category of our critique group? Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Jean, what a wonderful picture you paint. Amazing! I also look forward to the one you're working on now. I live in the heart of logging country. The industry was both a blessing and a curse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, I'll bet you have some good stories about the logging that you could share. So glad you're here.

      Delete
  8. Great interview ladies! Jean, if you didn't know it before, you know it now...I'm always a day late to these things. So sorry, but I love the excerpt. The dialogue between those two guys is outstanding...and the set up and descriptions...I can see the room, hear the can being opened and scraped, pots clanging on the stove, etc. Just marvelous! Will be downloading this!

    Lori Leger
    Author of La Fleur de Love series

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how to categorize Jean's writing, except to say it's unique. Her voice is unlike anyone else's that I've read. It draws you in and makes you want to be part of it, and the characters stay with you long after the story is through. And Ira is very sexy to me. It isn't bulging muscles or wealth or good looks that make a man sexy. It's how he makes you feel, and Ira will do it for most of us. Congratulations on a great book. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. You are the first readers of my first book and you have a special place in my heart forever. Some of you have been in on the story since the first edit of the first chapter. I just want to say thanks again to all and I love you. {{{{Cyber hugs)))) until we meet again.

    ReplyDelete