Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Writers' Wednesday Welcomes Susan Muller

I’m so happy to feature Susan Muller today. Susan lives in Spring, Texas, and loves to read, travel, and play with her grandchildren. When not writing, she can be found doing volunteer work at a local hospital. She’s never seen a ghost, but wouldn’t swear they don’t exist. And I'd have to agree. There are some things we just can't explain.

Thanks for inviting me Barb. I’m glad to be here.

Your book THE SECRETS ON FOREST BEND is a Romantic Suspense. What draws you to this genre?

It contains my two favorite things: romance and suspense. I have always loved mysteries, whether in books, movies, or on television. I think it’s the puzzle aspect. Trying to fit all the pieces together and figure out who-done-it. And what’s life without a little romance to jazz things up?

Absolutely. A little romance can add pizzaz to just about anything. So, could you please tell us a little about the book?

Love to.



Another day . . . another dead body.


While working a case, Homicide Detective Adam Campbell stumbles across a crooked cop, an intriguing woman and a vengeful ghost. Can he stay alive long enough to bring down the cop, win over the woman, and destroy the ghost?

In this excerpt, Adam has stopped to see his partner about evidence of a crooked cop in their department. While there, both Ruben and his mother warn Adam about his new girlfriend, Jillian.

Adam rubbed his hand over his face. “So what are we going to do about this?”


“There’s no we. I’m on sick leave. And I want it cleared up before I go back to work. Something like this could ruin a career. If you report it, you’re in the shit. If you don’t report it, you’re in the shit. Hard Luck isn’t even going to want to know it happened. Marshall’s a well liked guy. He brings donuts.”


“I guess it’s okay to commit any type of crime if you bring donuts.”


“Well, murder usually requires bear claws.”


He and Ruben discussed the problem for another twenty minutes without coming up with a solution. When Mamacita announced dinner, they started down the stairs. “Not a word,” Ruben said, nodding toward his mother.


“How’s your friend Jillian?” Mamacita asked.


“She’s doing well. Thank you for having her over that night. I think it really helped her.”

“I know. She called me the next day. Someone taught her good manners.” She glared at him. “She’s a nice girl, and I like her, but she has problems. A shadow follows her, a dark cloud.”


Adam stopped eating. “Everyone she’s ever cared about has died young and violently——her mother, her sister, her father, and now her good friend. I imagine she does get down occasionally, but she seems to handle it well.”


“I’m not talking about grief. She carries that in a small place in her heart and it goes everywhere with her. This is something else. I don’t know what it is, but it wouldn’t come into this house.” She made a sign of the cross. “She’s going to need your help to get away from it, Adam, and I hope you’re up to the task.”


He and Ruben looked at each other and rolled their eyes. When he got ready to leave, Ruben walked him to the door and stepped onto the porch.


“I don’t know what Mamacita’s talking about with the shadow following her bit.” Ruben made quotation marks with his fingers and a spooky, horror movie sound. “But she does know people, and if she says there’s something off about Jillian, then you should think twice."


“Jillian’s different, I’ll give you that. But maybe that’s a good thing. I haven’t done so well with the one’s I’ve tried in the past. Maybe a change is what I need. Anyway, when has Mamacita approved of any woman you or I have ever dated?”


“That’s true. And she’s been right every time. Maybe this once you should use your big brain, instead of the little one.”


Sounds intriguing, Susan. I'll bet the shadow is portentious of something. I can't wait to read it to find out that it is. And I really like the line, "Murder usually requires bear claws."


But I have to ask about REDEEMING SANTA. That's quite a title


REDEEMING SANTA is an action/adventure novella inspired by real life events. I’ve been fascinated by the story since my husband’s uncle, who watched the events unfold, described it to me many years ago. In December, 1927, a man dressed as Santa robbed the local bank. Over two hundred shots were fired. People, including the sheriff, were killed and hostages were taken. It became the largest manhunt in Texas history.

My fictional version centers on a young boy taken hostage and the effect it has on his life. Using all his wiles, and a big dose of courage, he escapes after three days on the run. Now in his nineties, and facing what is probably his last Christmas, can he overcome his hatred for all things Santa for the sake of his grandchildren?



Good grief. That's must have been quite a story to write. I can't imagine how someone would deal with such a traumatic event.


What’s your next project for publication? I’m working on the first of a four part series entitled Season’s Pass. The first book is WINTER SONG and will follow a widowed homicide detective as he hunts a most unusual hit man and finds his own peace along the way.


Another unique plot, Susan. Great title, too--WINTER SONG. Good luck with that book and with the series.

Before you go, what one tip would you offer writers?


Read anything you can get your hands on. Good writing is good writing, no matter what the genre. Join a critique group or volunteer to judge contests. As you read other’s work with a critical eye, you learn what areas you need to work on. Take classes or purchase books on writing. Never stop learning. I guess that’s more than one tip. LOL


Sounds like 'one' excellent piece of advice, Susan. I agree, too. Critiquing the work of others helps us in our own writing. And someone else can find points we've missed in our story, no matter how many times we've been over it. Thanks, again, for joining us today. Come back again, soon.

Be sure to follow Susan at http://www.susancmuller.com/

THE SECRETS ON FOREST BEND is available from: http://www.soulmatepublishing.com/the-secrets-on-forest-bend/, Amazon, Barnes & Noble.
REDEEMING SANTA is available from: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords.

19 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Susan. Barbara's blog is a favorite of mine to read. Always find great stuff here! In fact, I've read both of Susan's books. Could not put either of them down and the characters hang with you long after you've hit The End. Can't wait for Winter Song to come out, it's sure to be another hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they sound great, Jaye. I can't wait to read them myself. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the kind words, Jaye

      Delete
  2. I, too, love Susan's books and can't wait to read the next one. Great interview also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shawnna, Glad you stopped by. I'm looking forward to the next one, too. Love the premise.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Susan's books yet, but what a great intro to her writing. I love mysteries, so I'm anxious to get them. Great interview.
    Diana Locke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana. We're both going to have to get an ereader--we're so behind on our TBR list. Since we're CP's maybe we can share one.LOL. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  4. Great interview, ladies. I'm so excited about what else Susan will be writing next. What a talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome. Susan's fans are so supportive. She's lucky to have such friends. Come back and see us.

      Delete
  5. Ahhh...never stop learning. Great interview, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the cover. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with a good looking guy who has a gun and a badge. Thanks Selena

      Delete
  7. Lovely interview. Your book possesses such an interesting concept, and I am wishing you great success with future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Diana. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. The Secrets on Forest Bend should be out in paperback by September.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the support. I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your stories, Susan. The one about redeeming Santa sounds fascinating.

    Great interview ladies. All the best with your career, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your books sound amazing! Wishing you all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck with your book and future projects Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great cover. Good luck with your career.

    ReplyDelete