Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wanda Fittro at Writers' Wednesday

Welcome. Today, I’m happy to feature Wanda Fittro, a fellow member of Ozarks Romance Authors.

So glad you stopped by today, Wanda. Your manuscript BEYOND THE HORIZON is a contemporary romance/suspense set in present day, small town Kansas….Would you please tell us a little about it?

Thanks for having me Barb. Here's the blurb:

Katie Sullivan is running for her life. She doesn’t know where but, it has to be better than the abusive relationship she is in. Car trouble leaves her stranded in the middle of Kansas where she is rescued by an elderly farm couple. There she meets Josh Warner, a widower who lives and works on the farm. He juggles his farm responsibilities with raising his young son and his passion for the rodeo. Katie and Josh can’t fight their growing feelings for each other, but both their pasts could come crashing down on them and destroy their future together.

That's quite an interesting story line, Wanda. I can imagine Katie's original guy isn't going to take here defection calmly. What drew you to this this particular genre and theme?

I enjoy reading contemporary romances so I was naturally drawn to write one. I developed this idea because my daughter has struggled with abusive relationships her entire adult life. I wanted to explore the feelings a woman has in that situation. I think I needed to write this story as a way to try and understand my daughter’s life choices. My heroine takes control of her life and destiny and maybe someday my daughter will too.

I hope she is able to, also, Wanda. Your book may help her and others like her to gain strength for their effforts. Ironically, my guest last week has one section of her weekly blog devoted to stories of people who have survived abusive situations.

How long have you been writing?

I started seriously pursuing writing in the late 90’s. I’ve published a poem in GRIT, an article in SPRINGFIELD MAGAZINE and this year won the Missouri Literacy Festival Reader’s Choice Award for a short story about the Civil War. I’ve had several detours along the way but, I am determined to succeed and get a book published.

Where is your favorite place to write?

I can’t really say I have a favorite place. I do most of my writing during my lunch hour at work. I’ve also written quite a bit at our local brewery. In fact everyone there teases me that when I make it big they’re going to put a plaque where I sat and wrote – just like Hemingway.

Sounds like a great and supportive place to create. I'll be looking for that plaque soon. What is your next project?

I’m currently trying to finish my very first NaNo project. It’s also a contemporary romance about a young woman who goes back to her home town to bury her mother. Along the way she re-discovers her past. It’s been slow going though, as this year I am secretary for Ozarks Romance Authors and president for another writing group, Sleuth’s Ink. But belonging to both these groups helps to keep me motivated.

Great groups, both. Good luck with your responsibilities. In closing, what one tip would you offer writers?

Don’t stop writing. Even if it’s just a little bit here and a little bit there, it’s more than you started with.

Great advice. The daily habit of writing, even just a few words, keeps us focused--and producing. Thanks, again, for being here, Wanda. Where can we find you online?

You can follow me on twitter @wandafittro or my blog at http://awritercalledwanda.blogspot.com/

26 comments:

  1. It's always great to hear from one of our own, Wanda. Your blurb sounds really interesting. I wish you the best in getting it published. I admire those who are taking on NaNo. That's a ton of work for already busy lives. Good luck.
    Best of luck to your daughter too. We've all had our share of relationships we'd as soon forget.
    Diana Locke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words for me and my daughter.

      Delete
    2. Hi Diana, I so agree with your observation on NaNo. Writers who can do that are just remarkable.

      And I'm looking forward to your book, too. Come visit here soon.

      Delete
  2. Both of your stories sound interesting. I prefer stories set in small towns over big cities, too. Good luck with NaNo and with your publishing goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Karri!

      Delete
    2. Welcome, Karri Lyn. I like small town locations, too. I wonder if it's because I grew up in one--and later on a farm nearby. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Great interview, Wanda! I hope to get my hands on your book one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And I can't wait to download Treasure Hunter's Lady.

      Delete
    2. Allison, Great to see you. And we'll get to hear all about your new book in a few weeks, too. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Barb, thanks for hosting Wanda today.
    Hey Wanda! Great story premise. Can't wait to read it. Having been in an abusive relationship at one point in my life, I know what a struggle it is to get past it. I'll cheer your daughter and Katie on in their search for themselves and true happiness. Many Blessings, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still amazes me that so many women suffer through abuse. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
    2. Angela, it takes courage not only to survive a relationship like that, but to admit it and work toward helping others. Good for you. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Great interview, Wanda, and I love the blurb. I want to read this book so get it published! I, too, prefer contemporary romance with elements of suspense.

    I hate it that Delaney has been in these types of relationships, especially since I used to watch her dance so well as a young girl. That makes me sad. I hope your book will give her strength to get out of those situations.

    On another note, very cool that you write at the brewery! The plaque idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, I still think back fondly on those dance years. We had some good times, didn't we!

      Delete
    2. Hi Beth, Wanda will certainly have some good stories to share about her writing experiences. Wanda, I hope you write about them sometime.

      Delete
  6. Barbara Kerr-ThompsonJanuary 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

    What an enjoyable interview. I've known Wanda for over 40 years and still learned something about her today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. I've been blessed all these years to call you my friend.

      Delete
    2. Barbara, you and Wanda must have played together as children :). Having a good friend like that is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for being here.

      Delete
  7. Wanda, I'm so glad you're here today. Your topic really hits a chord with so many women. Well, not only your topic. Your writing, as well. I agree with Beth, hurry and get it publised so we can all read it--all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous interview! We're so proud of Wanda and Barbara, who are both members of Ozarks Romance Authors.

    Can't wait to see your plaque at Springfield Brewing Co.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're book sounds like something I'd love to read . Here's wishing you good luck getting it published so I can read it soon. Are you working on a new one now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Shirley. I'm participating in JANO, a writing challenge based on NaNo. Working on finishing my second book.

      Delete
  11. Intriguing interview, Wanda. You amaze me with your talent. Enjoyed your Civil War story for the MO Literacy Festival and your book blurb sounds every bit as good. You are already showing your capabilities as a wonderful group president, too. AND JANO--Girl, you are certainly one talented, anbitious lady! Good luck in ALL your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoops! Thought I'd proof-read my comment better--aMbitious not aNbitious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I'm late but your books sound great! I also write contemporary because I like to read it as well. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete