Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I’m happy to welcome KC Klein to Writer’ Wednesday. KC has just released her book, DARK FUTURE, a sexy futuristic time-travel--which, by the way, she’s giving a copy of to a lucky visitor here. So don’t forget to leave a comment--and your email addy.

KC became serious about writing three years ago and was as surprised as anyone when her stories took a turn toward dark and snarky. Today, she divides her time between taking care of her family and driving in circles around Arizona, too busy creating stories in her head to pay attention to mere road signs. KC would love a visit at kckleinbooks.com.

Congratulations on the new release, and thanks for taking time out of your frantic promo schedule to stop by. The book is set in dystopian time-travel. What draws you to this genre?

First of all, I want to thank you for letting come here and talk about my passion—writing.

I’m glad you’re here, because all of us share that same passion. Dystopian time-travel. Sounds intriguing.

I love the post-apocalyptic setting because it allows me to put my characters up against really tough odds. Which is great, since the theme of DARK FUTURE is about ordinary men and women doing extraordinary things. In my novel, DARK FUTURE, the world is going up in flames, and in order for humanity to survive, everyday people have to step-up and become heroes.

It sounds fantastic. I love the idea of, as you say, ordinary people doing extraordinary things. That’s something anyone can relate to, no matter what genre. Please tell us a little about the work.

I can’t do this any better than the back cover blurb, so here it goes:

Awakened in the middle of the night by a future version of herself, Kris Davenport is given a mission: go forward in time to save the world—and His life. Of course, her future self doesn't tell her who “he” is, just sends her into an abyss and straight into an alien invasion. He turns out to be ConRad Smith, the callous, untrusting Commander of Earth’s army and the world’s last defense. There’s only one way to know for sure if this strange woman is an alien spy—slice her throat. Except, he didn’t anticipate the heat he would feel as he interrogates the hot-tempered, warm-blooded woman. For a man whose sole focus has been survival, she's more temptation than he can handle. But a world on the brink of destruction leaves no room for love…and time is running out.

It sounds really exciting, KC. I’m looking forward to reading it. You’ve had an excellent beginning with this particular book. What’s your next project?

Right now, I am working on a sci-fi, bodice-ripper (what a hoot!), with two other very talented authors. We are hoping to have the anthology out by the beginning of next year. So look for it! Right now, the project is tentatively titled, MY HEART—THE FINAL FROUNTIER. Ha!

What fun. Anthologies are proving very popular right now, too. Yours sounds like a shoo-in.

What one tip would you offer writers?

Set a schedule. Whatever works for you, be it word count, a timer, or writing sprints, doesn’t matter, just write on a regular basis. This is the single most important habit I see that separates published authors from unpublished authors. Over the years, I’ve learned there are no short-cuts. There are no easy ways to losing weight, staying married, raising kids, or writing a book. If you want it bad enough you need to put in the time.

Excellent advice, certainly for those writers who have several things for which they’re accountable. (Although I’m still looking for that easy way to lose weight.) Good luck with DARK FUTURE, KC, and thanks, again, for joining us.

Thank you so much for having me today.

I would love to give away one e-copy of DARK FUTURE to a visitor today. Just comment, tell me what type of books you like to read or simply say hi. Either way, leave an email address where I can gift the book to you.

KC loves to chat with readers, so please hook up with her on Twitter @kckleinbooks, Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/AuthorKCKlein, or on my website http://www.kckleinbooks.com/

11 comments:

  1. Hi Barb & KC,

    Nice interview, ladies. I love the idea of futuristic romance. Myself, I would love to write a space opera, but there never seems to be time with the other writing. Maybe one of these days!

    allison.merritt@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. First--I really like your picture. It's so different. Second--your book sounds very intriguing. I rarely read sci-fi books, but I have read some futuristic books and yours seems fun and different. The sci-fi, bodice-ripper anthology should be great. Great Writer's Wednesday.
    karri@karrilynhalley.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, KC!

    I like to read pretty much anything. At least, I'll give anything a try. Out of the last three books I read, one was YA (Torn), one was Romantic Suspense (He Kills Me, He Kills Me Not), and one was paranormal (Dark Lover).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison,
    I'd love to read a space story of yours. The ones you've done so far are great. Your time is very near, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karri,
    Thanks for dropping by. KC's story sounds like one that can really bridge the genres. I haven't read a lot of futurist lately, but I'm looking forward to this one. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Abigail,
    Love your equal opportunity reading policy. It's wonderful to keep open--but it's easy when we have great friends who write in a variety of genres and we get the chance to branch out.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KC,
    I am so glad you were able to be here today. I chuckled at your 'sci-fi bodice-ripper' reference. Talk about cross-genre stories. Be sure to let us know when it comes out.

    And please come back to tell us about it.

    All the best with DARK FUTURE. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi KC,
    Great interview. Dark Future sounds great. I write Inspirational Historicals, but from my small critique group, I've learned to enjoy a variety of genres. If you only read what you write, you miss a lot. You look young enough to have a wonderful and long career ahead of you, and I wish you all the best.

    Thanks, Barb, for another great interview.
    Diana Locke dilock@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your book sounds amazing, KC. I love time-travel stories.

    Wonderful advice about setting a schedule and making it what works for you.

    Great interview ladies, and congrats on the publication, KC.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a really great book! Sorry I'm late to the party but it was nice to get to know more about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great advice, KC. Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to visit with us.

    ReplyDelete