Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Writers' Wednesday Welcomes Amanda Barke



Welcome to Writers’ Wednesday. I’ve had a bit of a ‘holiday’ from posting while I worked with my Blogger account. I’m hopeful everything is posting properly now. But I’m so glad to be back. I’ve missed you all.

Amanda J. Barke is today’s guest. Amanda is an author, editor, freelance journalist, singer/songwriter, and motivational speaker. Her work as a freelance journalist can be found in the OZARKS’ SENIOR LIVING NEWSPAPER, THE OZARKS MOUNTAINEER MAGAZINE, MISSOURI LIFE MAGAZINE and various other regional publications. Her other articles can be found online at ehow.com, livestrong.com/lifestyle, and amykitchenerfdn.org. As a motivational speaker, she travels all over Missouri promoting literacy in schools, teaching fellow writers, and motivating teens to follow their dreams. In 2010, she served as president of the Springfield Writers' Guild.


You are certainly a busy lady, Amanda. Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to be here. Your current book is set in our 50th state. Why did you choose Hawaii?

I have always loved Hawaiian culture. The novel A DISTANT RUMBLE is a Christian Fiction, Action/Adventure set in modern day Hawaii.

I also have a children’s picture book titled THE SLEEPY LITTLE SUN. I wrote this little nursery rhyme to encourage my son to stay in bed until the sunrise.


I’ve never been to Hawaii but, like you, I find the culture fascinating. And I like the idea of an action/adventure Christian work. It sounds intriguing. What’s your next project for publication?

I am currently illustrating my second children’s book titled, HATS ON, HATS OFF. It is to help encourage children fighting cancer.

That’s such an important topic, Amanda. I understand the number of children who are diagnosed with some form of the disease is much larger than one might imagine. It would be so great to have a book specifically for them, that can offer comfort and reassurance. It should be welcomed.

What one tip would you offer writers?

Study the market continually, and research your topic extensively.

Sounds like excellent advice. Thanks, again, for joining us today.

For more information on Amanda’s many writing projects log on to www.amandabarke.com, friend her on Facebook, or follow her on Twitter.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever read a Christian Action/Adventure. It sounds interesting! How did you get into motivational speaking? What age students do you speak to at the schools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karri,
    Yes, Christian action/adventure sounds really intriguing, doesn't it? Amanda has spoken to our local writers group,Ozarks Romance Authors, and I can tell you she's quite motivational.

    Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Amanda. It's always inspiring to hear of local author's successes. And I'm so glad to see the Christian markets expand over the last several years. Many blessings to you, and congratulations.

    Nice job, Barbara.

    Diana Locke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for featuring Amanda, Barbara.
    Amanda, your writing and your intuitive networking are an inspiration. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda is such a delight and we enjoy her so much as a member of Ozarks Romance Authors!

    Great interview, Barb. Really enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete