Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Writers' Wednesday Welcomes Misty Burke




Welcome to Writers’ Wednesday. Each week the spotlight is on authors, both published and on the journey to publication. They are asked to share a writing tip, as well. Today, I’m happy to feature Misty Burke, a fellow Ozarks Romance Author as well as RWA member. Misty is finding success in epublishing both longer and shorter works.

Misty, your book, THE MADAME OF GRAVESTONE (Book 1 in the Corset Chronicles) is a fast paced steampunk romance. Steampunk seems to be hot property these days. Would you please tell us what draws you to this genre?

I have already written paranormal and contemporary romances. So I guess it was time to branch out into something new. The idea of a steampunked western sounded like fun. Please feel free to read an excerpt from THE MADAME OF GRAVESTONE at:
http://summerhousepublishing.com/books/the-madame-of-gravestone/

I did, and it sounds very interesting. It’s billed as the first book in the Corset Chronicles. Is your next project a follow-up entry in the Chronicles?

Yes. I’m excited to say that I’m working on the next book in this series. I hope to finish THE SHERIFF OF GRAVESTONE this summer.

What are some of your other works?

I have a few that are current.

CHASING TABBY was just released from Secret Cravings Publishing.

THE LAST WATCHER was released in December ’10 from Evernight Publishing.

“Jack Frost” in ‘TWAS A DARK & DELICIOUS CHRISTMAS anthology was released in December ’10 from Evernight Publishing.

And coming soon …

TRUTH OR DARE will be released through Summerhouse Publishing in July

CATCHING HELL will be released through Secret Cravings Publishing in August ‘11.

AND MEETING ONLINE BITES will be released through MuseItHOT Publishing in November ’11.


I’m impressed that you write so fast. I can recall when we met not all that long ago, you were working on your first story. What one tip would you offer writers?


Writing is not for the faint of heart. It isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme. Between rejection letters and bad reviews, an author can feel like there are more downs than ups. “Get out now,” might even be the best advice for those that don’t truly love to write.



But for those that do, those who can’t wait to fill the page with another chapter, my advice is to always enjoy your craft. Don’t let the business of writing take away the pleasure of storytelling. Don’t let the harsher realities of the profession take away your excitement for the written word. Write because you enjoy it!


“Writing is not for the faint of heart.” How true that is. But I also like your adjuring us to “always enjoy your craft.” It is so easy to get lost in the overwhelming details that we sometimes run the risk of losing sight of why we began writing in the first place. We love to tell stories.

Thanks so much for being here, Misty.

Barb, I’d like to offer a FREE PDF copy of THE MADAME OF GRAVESTONE to one lucky commenter. I’ve asked a question on my links page. Just go there, find the question, then answer it here on the blog, in a comment.

Here’s the link. http://www.mistyburke.com/my-links.html


The question is right there in plain sight. Good luck everyone. Hope you love the story.


You can visit Misty at her various publishers’ sites or on her website: http://www.mistyburke.com/








AND--for Misty's give-away, we'll hold comments open for two days, so if you're reading this on digest, as I know several of you are, please don't hesitate to join the fun.



7 comments:

  1. Hi Misty,
    I love steampunk, and your books sound great. Good for you for pushing on with your writing through motherhood and homeschooling. It can't be easy!
    Barb, you have a beautiful website here.
    Marci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Misty -
    I love your cover for all the obvious reasons -- the colors are fabulous -- but mainly b/c the hero reminds me of my husband many (many) years ago. LOL

    Red is my answer.
    Great post, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite color is pink. If you meant your fave color - well I don't know! Great interview and your books sound fabulous. Congratulations and I wish you continued success!

    I'm excited for my new release which will be out in November this year. Getting that first acceptance letter was an amazing feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Misty

    I am impressed and pleased with your ability to keep something new and fresh out there for your readers. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Misty,

    Love your book cover! Great advice about always loving your craft. It's sometimes hard to remember that.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for stopping by! And thank you Barb for having me as your guest!!

    Happy Reading!

    -Misty Burke ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Misty and Barb!

    So great to see what you're up to here on Barb's blog.

    Misty, your words are right on -- "Writing is not for the faint of heart. It isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme."

    It seems like so many folks assume that they'll quickly slap a book together and then the money will roll in.

    Proud of our Ozarks Romance Authors members Misty and Barb!

    ReplyDelete