Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Writers' Wednesday Guest Mia Marlowe



Welcome to Writers’ Wednesday. This week, I’m lucky enough to welcome Mia Marlowe, whose latest historical TOUCH OF A THIEF hit the shelves last week.

Before we go any farther--Mia's giving away a book from her backlist for one lucky person, so be sure to leave a comment.

Thanks for being here today, Mia. Please tell us a little about your new book.


TOUCH OF A THIEF is the first of the Touch of Seduction series. In each story, one of the characters has the gift of touch, the ability to receive information in the form of vision from inanimate objects. However, in my heroine Viola’s case, the gift is a double-edged sword. She may be able to learn things from gem stones, but it’s an occupational hazard. You see, she’s a jewel thief!


For more about all the upcoming books, please visit http://miamarlowe.com/next.php

TOUCH OF A THIEF is set in 1856, the Victorian Era. What draws you to period?

Queen Victoria’s rule spanned 7 decades. It was a time of invention, imperialism and intrigue. A man still might make his fortune in the “gorgeous East” and return to live the life of a rich nabob in London. While the sun never set on the British Empire, it was a time of unrest for her distant possessions. The events in British India have a profound effect on my characters in TOUCH OF A THIEF, even though they are half a world away.

The British presence in India must provide a treasure trove of ideas for plots. I do love this one about the red diamond. Your description of some of the places are so detailed, it shows you've been to that country. That must have been quite a trip. What’s your next project?

I’m currently finishing TOUCH OF A ROGUE, the third story in the Touch of Seduction series. After that, my editor and I have been batting around some ideas for a trio of Scottish set stories shortly after “Prinny” takes the English throne and becomes George IV. We had great fun discussing the series when we got together in LA for the Romantic Times Convention a few weeks ago. It’s a delightful thing to work with an editor you trust on developing a premise together.

My publishing schedule is pretty full right now. I have two titles coming out this year and four scheduled for 2012. Two of the 2012 titles are books I’ve written in collaboration with NY Times bestseller Connie Mason. I’m very blessed to be able to work with such a romance legend and hope to be bringing you more Mason/Marlowe titles in the future!

I, for one, am looking forward to your next two in the Seduction trio. And teaming up with Connie Mason--what an experience that must have been. Your career arc has been so exciting, what one tip would you offer writers?

Make a plan for your work and write it down. Even before you’re published, set a deadline for completing your manuscript and meet it. Know what your daily, weekly or monthly output is. Once you sell, your editor will want to know how often you can deliver a manuscript. If you want writing to be your business, don’t treat it like a hobby.

It’s been great talking with you Mia. Thanks, again, for being here.

Thanks for having me, Barb. I’m thrilled that I’ll be back in your neck of the woods this weekend! I’m speaking for Ozark Romance Authors at Library Station and signing Touch of a Thief at Half-Price Books afterward! Since I used to live in West Plains, this is something of a homecoming for me.

Of course, I’d love to see you all at ORA, but if you can’t make it, I hope you’ll visit my reader-friendly website. You’ll find a contest, an events page that’ll keep you up to date on my appearances, and a chance to visit with me on my blog! http://www.miamarlowe.com

You can also find me at http://facebook.com/MiaMarloweFanPage and http://twitter.com/Mia_Marlowe


Booklist says Touch of a Thief will "dazzle readers", and Publishers Weekly, in a starred review (!!), assures that "Both historical and paranormal readers will love this crossover tale." Head over to my website for an excerpt you can read right now.

But of course, the review I really want to read is the one from YOU! Quinn and Viola’s love story touched my heart and I hope it’ll touch yours too. I can't wait to hear your feedback-- please send it on!

TOUCH OF A THIEF is available from your local bookseller and all major etailers.
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Borders

Question for your readers, Barb. Historical readers have favorite settings and time periods. What’s yours?

I’m happy to give a randomly chosen commenter one of my “vintage reads”—a book from my backlist.

25 comments:

  1. Mia,
    How exciting your life has become since you first joined ORA. Your focus on setting and reaching your goals is certainly self-evident. You are just on fire. It will be great to see you this week-end, and I know coming home will be enjoyable for you and your family.
    Diana Locke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mia,

    I can't wait to meet you this Saturday. My kids and I were in Barnes and Noble the other day and we saw your book displayed on one of the big tables up front. I promptly snatched it up, showed it to my daughter, and said, "Do you see this sweetie? Next weekend, mommy gets to meet the lady who wrote this. How cool is that?"
    Her eyes got wide, pudgy baby-fingers stroking the cover, and she said, "Is he touching her bra? Are they going to kiss? EWWWWWW!!!!!"
    I sighed. "Ten more years, sweetheart, then you'll understand."

    Confidentially, I hope they kiss...

    All the best,
    Cecily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Diana. I'm very excited about seeing everyone at ORA. It's lovely to be back in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cecily--How funny! And here I though my cover was demure, elegant and understated. Thanks for sharing your daughter's reaction to it.

    Oh, yes. They definitely kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mia,
    I'm SO thrilled to have you here today. Here's a not-so-secret-secret: I've been a fan (as you know) since your very first--"song" historicals. When you came to your first ORA meeting and joined, I was never so stunned. Here was a writer whose work I loved, sitting right there.

    Since then, I've tried not to become a 'stalker fan' LOL,so I don't always comment on your blog. However, you offer so much 'value added' material there--I can recommend it--very objectively, and very highly--to everyone.

    Thanks so much for being here. I look forward to Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mia,

    I must admit, I haven't read your books before now. But I am sure that will be rectified after reading Barb's post.

    I need to follow your advice on setting deadlines for myself when writing, but since I teach, those writing deadlines always get pushed back. Hopefully, this summer I can work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mia -
    I can't wait to meet you this Sat. at ORA. I loved your Emily Bryan books and the premise for TOUCH sounds wonderful.
    Wishing you many, many sales :)
    Best -

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mia,

    I'm with Kasey. I have not read your books either but after today I will definitely pick them up. I love anything with a paranormal twist and the story sounds extremely entertaining!

    Thanks for chatting with us, and giving us a synopsis of your book!

    HUGS
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mia,

    I'm soooo excited that I'll finally get to meet you this Saturday.

    Touch sounds like a great book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    Peace and hugs
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barbara--Stalk all you want. I love to hear from you! Thanks for having me here today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kasey--When I worked full-time, I wrote 2 pages each night. Then my DH did the laundry and cleaned the house so I could write 10 pages on Saturday, 5 on Sunday. There is a way to produce quite a bit while working 40 hours a week at a day job, but I couldn't have done it without the support of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer--I'm looking forward to meeting you too. It'll be nice to put a face with the name. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trish--Thanks so much. I appreciate my readers to pieces. Hope you enjoy my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, we'll have a good time on Saturday. Does ORA still do critique in the morning? I'll try to get there in time if that's the case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the release of TOUCH OF A THIEF. I look forward to reading it. I enjoy historicals no matter what the setting. Medieval Highland set books were the first romances I read and are still my favorite, either combined or just medieval or Highland set. I also like those set in the American West. Victorian era works in "exotic" locations such as Egypt, India, and other areas explored during that time period work well and offer a different type of plot possibilities.

    I enjoy your posts, Mia. It is always good to hear sound business advice to those who want to write. That point of view is often lacking in detail when writing is being discussed.

    librarypat AT comcast DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mia, the concept of your TOUCH series sounds very intriguing. I'm sure you had a lot of fun writing Touch of a Thief. Jewels, themselves, are intriguing so any story that has them in the plot have my attention. I can't wait to read it!

    As for my writing schedule, I learned a long time ago to treat my writing like a real job so now I've got two full time jobs. I much prefer the second job, even though there's no salary--yet. Congratulations on some great upcoming releases!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Mia. I'm so thrilled for all of your success. Like Barbara, I've been a fan since your -song books and haven't missed many of your titles since then, I don't think.

    I appreciated your sharing your time management ideas. Like you, I wrote during a full-time job, in my case teaching. I used my lunch time (when I didn't have duty) and late nights to finish a page or two. I dedicated two of my books to the staff at the two schools where I was teaching at the time the books were published - the staff, of course, wanted to buy a copy .

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's been so great having you here today Mia. The rate at which you can turn out your books is really impressive--especially when we see how much time you spend on your website, your varius blogs, your Red Pencil Thursday mentoring sessions--don't know how you do it.
    Thanks again for a terrific session.

    And thanks to everyone who has stopped--and will stop--by. I love hearing about your writing challenges--and successes. I'm hoping some of that organization will rub off on me.

    Have a great week, everyone. And Mia--travel safe. Hugs you you all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The book sounds fascinating & I have it on my wishlist but it's alot more expensive compared to the normal range for novels? *Sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great interview! And I have really been looking forward to reading your newest, Mia, so when I get myself a copy and finish, I will definitely tell you what I thought! :-)
    I very much enjoy reading in the Victorian era!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mia,

    Your book and upcoming series sounds intriguing. I'm excited to read them and meet you at RWA with Cecily next month. We're roomies and will have you over for one of our parties. Barb can tell you all about it. :-)

    Take care and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mia, your book sounds like so much fun!

    I really love the Revolutionary War period. Not sure if it's because I'm from Boston, or if because the first romance I read was set during that time frame. But heck, I'll read anything I can get my hands on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mia, I don't have alot of time for reading lately, but you've got a great hook, and this fish may just decide to bite! Sounds like a wonderful series.

    Great interview!
    Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mia, congrats on your new release! Looks like a great story in a fascinating time period! And I agree with Jaye, you can't go wrong with jewels! :) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL on being a stalker Barb... if all stalkers were as sweet as you, well, people would love having them...

    I'm bummed I can't come over/down/to the presentation Saturday. I wanted to hear Mia talk! Have fun all.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete