Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Writers' Wednesday Welcomes Kaye Calkins



Welcome to Writers’ Wednesday. Today I'm happy to feature another super critique partner, Kaye Calkins, whose first manuscript, DEVERELL'S DILEMMA has been accepted by Avalon Press. Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to talk with us, Kaye.

I’m glad to be here, Barb.

You have such a great ‘call’ story. Would you tell us what happened?

The Tuesday in December when the publisher’s call came, I was with my critique partners at our regular weekly meeting. My husband phoned to tell me about a message from someone asking me to return a call. When I heard the name, I couldn’t believe it--an editor at Avalon. I called back, but her voice mail picked up and I left my cell number. Mere minutes later, the phone rang. My heart practically beat out of my chest, and I could hardly breathe. My partners were yelling and hugging me and I just sat there, dazed. You girls were so sweet.

We couldn’t believe how calm you were. All we heard was your side of the conversation but when you said, so sedately, “I’d like that very much,” we knew. How exciting to be a part of your big day!

A few days later the contract came was another exciting moment. The next step was the letter of edits and changes. I was happy to make the few they asked for. I sent the completed manuscript by e-mail. I have to admit it still wasn’t real to me. While I waited to find out my publication date I was sure it was a terrible mistake and they’d call and say sorry, we made a mistake. Now at last, I have the tentative date of February 2012 for publication. I finally believe it is really going to happen.

DEVERELL'S DILEMMA is a sweet Regency. What draws you to this era?

I first got hooked when I read Georgette Heyer. She had a knowledge of the time and the customs of the period. Her humor appealed to me, and the slang of the day which was called cant. An example would be cock-sure meaning confident and civil- whiskers for polite small talk.

I have read all of the Jane Austen stories, which I have to say are a bit wordy for me, but I loved all of the movies on A&E. Who could resist Colin Firth’s Mr. Darcy, or Ciaran Hinds as Captain Wentworth in PERSUASION?


What’s your next project for publication?

A sequel to Deverell’s Dilemma called Henrietta’s Hoax. The stories are about the two Bromfield brothers, Deverell & Nathaniel. My heroes are involved in murder and masquerades as they pursue their heroines. Humor also laces the dialogue. The stories each stand alone, but it’s always nice to know what happens next.

What one tip would you offer writers?

Write about what interests you. I have always loved history, especially England’s Regency and Victorian periods. I think it’s the clothes, the architecture and the quaint way of speaking. It’s very romantic to me.


Thanks, Kaye. Can’t wait for the book’s release. Wish it weren’t nearly a year off. Come back then, please.

Visit more with Kaye at her site:




9 comments:

  1. How exciting for you, Kaye! It's always inspiring to hear about another writer's success. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaye, I love hearing stories about writers who get good news whilst among friends. Even though the spouses know how exciting and monumental these moments are for us, your friends feel and celebrate it with you.

    Congratulations on your sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Kaye. What an exciting way to learn the great news! Our writing friends know the struggle of trying to get published, and know exactly how we feel.
    Nice interview. I look forward to seeing your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaye,
    Before I get into technical comments--may I say that your picture is FANTASTIC!!? It epitomizes "romantic."
    Now for the congratulations--Hip, hip, hooray! It couldn't have happened to a more deserving or talented lady. Soooooooo happy for you. Looking forward to your February release AND publication of Henrietta's Hoax. (Henrietta, if you recall, is the name of my heroine in "Saddlesores and Prairie Biscuits." I'm going to take that as a good omen. :-).)
    Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone,
    So glad you could drop by today. Kaye's story never fails to move me because, as Brenda says, other writers really can identify with our joys and triumphs! We were so lucky to be there to experience it.

    Hope to see you all next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaye,
    Thanks for being here. You're so calm about it all--but as you said, you were in shock while we were in awe--noisy awe LOL

    I'm really looking forward to seeing Dev in print. I hope you'll come back then to share the publishing experience.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, for sharing my moment in time. It was one of the most special days in my life. Being with my writing friends at the moment of the call was the best Christmas gift I could ever hope for as a writer. Only they understand what goes into those little black marks on that very white paper.
    It was a joy to be here, Barb. Thank you so much for asking me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed the interview with Kaye. I'm one of the fortunate ones in Kaye's critique group, so I got to share the joy of her call from the editor. What a thrill. We drank fake champagne and hooped and hollered for a week or more. Great time.
    Diana Locke

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm back. I do actually know how to spell whooped. lol
    Diana Locke

    ReplyDelete