Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Writers' Wedneday Featues Lisa Wells


Welcome to Writers’ Wednesday. Today, I’m happy to feature Lisa Wells, whose first book, DIBS, was published by Wild Rose Press. Lisa is newsletter editor for Ozarks Romance Authors. Her "Buck Up Sissy Girls" column about writing is a favorite. Thanks for being here today.




Hi Barbara. Thanks for inviting me today.




Your book DIBS is a sexy contemporary romance. What draws you to this genre?




I enjoy reading light-hearted romances full of steam and sass. In this business, the motto is write what you like to read. So, I do.




DIBS certainly fills that bill. What’s your next project?




I’m working on a one I’ve titled: “The To Do List.” In it, the heroine is trying to transform her naughty girl image into a good girl image. When her ex-best friend dies and leaves her a to do list that requires her to revisit some of her activities of the past, she has to decide if she’ll honor her friend’s last wish or continue down her good girl path.




I'll bet the hero has something to say about that.




What one tip would you offer writers?




Study the craft. There is soooooooooo much to learn. The best way to capture it is to immerse yourself in the study of it. Think of writing as a new language you’re learning. The more you surround yourself with people who speak that language, the better you will learn it, speak it and write it.




Love the idea of writing as a new language. It's one we all hope to become proficient in. Thanks, again, for joining us today.




I’ve enjoyed the opportunity.





DIBS – available at http://www.thewildrosepress.com/

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Your new book sounds fun. I can't wait to see what the hero talks her into doing on her friend's to do list.

    You're right about learning the craft. It was a hard lesson for me, but one that I am enjoying. I've become a better writer, got out of my comfort zone, and met some amazing ladies.

    Another great interview, Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your new photo, Lisa! Beautiful!
    And you're so right about studying the craft of writing. Never thought of it as learning a new language, but that's a perfect comparison :)
    Great post ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo! And I'll agree with everyone about learning the craft as well as surrounding yourself with other great writer's. It helps so much! And Lisa I loved DIBS! Great book :)
    Super post Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa,
    What a beautiful picture--you're gorgeous! So excited about your accomplishments--you're truly fantastic at your writing craft. I also love your "Buck Up Sissy Girl" articles AND I'm impressed with the thought of writing as if learning a new language. You always think outside the box--no wonder you're such a success.

    Enjoyed the interview. Great blogspot, Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments. I love my writer friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb, the blog is looking fabulous!

    Lisa, great advice. I, too, like the comparison with learning a new language. It's the way we communicate with our peers. I mean, who else would understand the term 'plot bunnies'? LOL

    See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, FANTASTIC pic of you. Wowza. Who took the photo? Very nice.

    I have DIBS and it's an adorable book and a unique premise. Loved the game show aspect.

    Your new premise sounds very unique as well. Good luck with that. Are you staying with the Wild Rose Press or querying agents? I've got to get in query mode for my women's fiction novel. So far, I've only queried four in an entire year which is pathetic.

    Congrats, and like everyone else, great analogy that learning the craft of writing is like learning a new language. It makes sense that a teacher would come up with that!

    http://www.banterwithbeth.blogspot.som

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops! Make that http://www.banterwithbeth.blogspot.com Obviously, I haven't had enough coffee today!

    ReplyDelete