Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Writers' Wednesday

Welcome to Writers’ Wednesday. Each week, I hope to spotlight a writing tip from authors, both those published and those on the journey to publication. To launch the series, I’m happy to feature Elke Feuer, a friend I met at RWA Nationals in Orlando last year.

Thanks for taking time out of your schedule to talk with us today, Elke.

It’s a pleasure to be here, Barb.

Your current manuscript is set in Chicago. Would you please tell us a little about the work and what draws you to this genre?

My current manuscript is called For the Love of Jazz. I love mysteries, and jazz music. Combine that with a lot of bubble baths and wine, and the story developed from there. Here is a little taste:

To launch her restoration architecture company, Josie Fagan must convince Patrick Pullman she’s the only one who can restore his unique 1940s bungalow. She gets more than she bargains for when a condition of the contract is that she stay at the house with him, and what Patrick Pullman wants, Patrick Pullman gets…

She feels an immediate connection not only to Patrick and his house, but to the previous tenants. Patrick’s uncle and his lover, Lola, who disappeared fifty years before, are still present. Is the attraction between Patrick and Josie real, are Lola and William still acting out their unfinished lives or is the house just haunted? Is Lola really Josie’s missing aunt?

Patrick Pullman doesn't believe in ghosts or that his house is haunted, but when he starts having visions of Lola; maybe Josie isn't crazy after all. Will they find out the truth before she disappears too?


It sounds great, Elke--and eerie. What’s your next project?

The main setting is in the Cayman Islands, where I’m from, so I’m very excited about it! It’s about the daughter of a serial killer who tries to redeem the sins of her mother by becoming a forensic officer. She returns to Cayman, tired of the talking dead bodies she couldn’t silence and running from a love she can’t possess.

On the twentieth anniversary of her mother’s capture, someone is murdered in the same manner as her mother’s victims. She is forced to work with the man she ran from and face the terrifying truth she’s been hiding for twenty years.


Wow. I love the concept. Best of luck with it.

What one tip would you offer writers?

Write, no matter what. You can’t reach your goals or dreams without the work. You can achieve good writing habits by finding one that works for you and sticking to it.

So true. Thanks, again, Elke, for joining us today.

Thanks for having me, Barb.

For more information on Elke Feuer visit her blog:
http://elkefeuer.blogspot.com/

11 comments:

  1. Hi Elke!
    Wow, both of your stories sound fantastic. I love a novel with mystery or an element of danger.
    And very good advice -- write, write, write!
    Great post, ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do sound great, Elke! I can't wait to read them either. Big Hugs and best wishes with the projects girl!
    Great interview Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elke,

    Your books sound great. It is so nice to learn more about you. Wish I was in the Caymans with you. We're on spring break and there's no beach or sand in sight. Sigh.

    Lisa Wells

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! I hope you get to read them too. I agree, Barb did a great job on the interview.

    Lisa,

    You're welcome anytime, lots of sand and sun to go around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome, Elke, and thanks for sharing your stories and tip. Your Cayman Island comment grabbed me - we traveled there two summers to teach VBS as part of my dad's work. Then I met my husband because he'd been there - and was wearing a Cayman Island shirt. We finally made it together. What really connected me, though, was that my family was transferred to Chicago from Florida and one of my Cayman girlfriends visited us there over Thanksgiving. Her first snow. Maybe this is a sign I should look at another trip for us : ).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the story line of your books, Elke! I look forward to reading them. Wonderful advise for all writers and thanks for sharing more about your life with us, too. Big hugs and wonderful post, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post, y'all.
    Elke, set your next book in Springfield so you can come visit... You know, for research.
    And yes, I too, am HAUNTED by your story lines and totally DYING to read them!!!

    Huge hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the welcome, Tessa. It's always nice to hear someone speak fondly of my home. Yes, it's definately a sign to return.

    JD, Cecily, thanks for the hugs.

    Murder in Springfield - it has a nice ring to it. I could totally use that to start my "research trip".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elke,
    Your books sound fantastic--can't wait to get my hands on them (or ebook, whichever comes first). You look very young--which impresses me even more. I'm thrilled to see the younger generation sharing their love of words/tales.
    Good luck with all your future endeavors--I sense a mega-star rising!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A book is only as strong as its premise. Sounds like your stories have tremendously good bones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for saying I look very young, Virginia. It's something every lady approaching her 40's loves to hear.

    Words like mega-star rising and stories have tremendously good bones is what every aspiring author wants to hear. Thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete